PDA

View Full Version : Window Construction & Replacement

Mickey Elam
01-22-2007, 2:06 PM
My house has some pretty bad aluminum, single glazed windows that are essentially big energy sinks, both during the heating and cooling seasons. I've looked at replacement windows, and have gotten estimates ranging from ~$18,000 for vinyl to well in excess of $40,000 for clad wood windows. It would seem that the vinyl would be a no-brainer, except for the fact that they are UGLY and will never match the house in terms of color, etc.

Here's my question: how hard and expensive would it be to build replacement windows for the house using insulated glass? I could build them out of a premium, long-lasting wood and make them the style my wife wants. I figure I could make pretty decent windows if I can get the design figured out.

That leads to a second question: are there books available that are good references for building/designing windows, especially windows that are nicer than those for a barn or shed?

This is probably a non-starter of a project, but there's a part of me that would love to try it. Please tell me if I'm nuts to even think about it.

Thanks,

Mickey

Pete Brown
01-22-2007, 2:31 PM
I opted for vinyl. It's not the prettiest, but it really wasn't horrible. The current vinyl was a step up from the vinyl elsewhere in the house.

Depending on where you live, you really need to have double-pane glass to make it worth it. I know some people build windows, but I wonder how they get the glass void filled with the gasses required to keep out condensation and growth.

Below are some in-progress shots of the vinyl. Unfortunately, I don't have an outside show of the 8' bow, just of the smaller one.

All the trim in my house (except that in the kitchen) is white, so that helps. (the trim around the 8' isn't painted in the photo. It is all white)

Pete

55754 55755 55756 55757 55758

Mickey Elam
01-22-2007, 4:54 PM
I would purchase double paned glazing from a manufacturer and install it into the sash I build - much as you would if one of the glazing panels on your windows were broken. I'm a bit constrained by the fact that my windows really need to be dark in color; this is a bad idea for vinyl because of the high temperatures the dark vinyl reaches through solar heating. After all, I do live in Houston.

Ralph Barhorst
01-22-2007, 5:26 PM
I recently had a problem with two Pella casement windows. The bottom of the window frames rotted out due to moisture. (The sill had not been properly installed and allowed water to remain below the window frame.)

After finding out the cost of replacing the windows, I decided to replace the rotted parts. The hardest part of doing this was determining the cross section of the window frame. Once I did that, it was not too hard to make the bottom of the window frame out of white oak. The outside of the window is clad in black aluminum and the inside is stained and varnished.

It was not very hard to do this but I only had two windows to fix and I am retired so the time was not a factor.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-22-2007, 5:54 PM
I have looked and looked for information on building exterior windows. I found almost nothing.

If you find any good materials please post 'em here.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-22-2007, 6:19 PM
While it would be very cool to build all your own windows, it will cost a lot of money in materials. I think you'd still save over most any replacement costs, but not if you add in your time. This is a huge undertaking, I've made several single paners to replace older windows inside storm windows and it's no picnic.

Matt Anfang
01-22-2007, 6:20 PM
I wouldn't bother building replacement windows, just buy them.

I'm guessing the estimates you got were for window replacement including labor. When I started replacing my windows, I got quotes from people that were averaging close to $500 per window (almost $400 was the labor).

I ended up going to a window store, and just buying the sizes I needed, and then replacement them myself.

Matt

fRED mCnEILL
01-23-2007, 1:17 AM
We have an old house on our property that my daughter wanted to move into so we decided to renovate it. It was an early 19th century house with no insulation, damaged and broken windows, wood heat etc. My wife wanted to put in double glazed vinyl windows but my daughter wanted to keep the original windows(double hung casments) so I bought double pane glass from a local glass dealer and modified the windows to accept the new glass. It was a bit challenging but doable. I then had to seal them and went to a wood window manufacturer who showed me the various ways they seal their windows. I decided to uses a brush-like materal for that part. In addition to replacing the glazing I had to make a couple of complete new windows including frames etc. This was actually EASIER than modifing the old windows for new glazing because I was able to make the window(casement?) thicker in order to more easily accept the double paned glass.

What I also found out was that there are a number of different companies that make all the old style hardware including sash cord, weights etc. In the end it cost me about 1/3 what it would have cost for low end replacement vinyl windows. And they are sealed just as well as new windows.

If you look at NEW wooden windows they tend to get very complicated with many different moldings etc. And they are just made out of wood. If the manufacturers can make then out of wood so can you (or I)

The challenge is to find the correct hardware for the style of window you want but the internet makes that part easy as well.

Go for it. You'll save a bundle and the satisfaction factor is huge.

Fred Mc.

fRED mCnEILL
01-23-2007, 1:21 AM
Just a follow up on my last post.

You said"
I figure I could make pretty decent windows if I can get the design figured out."

I would go to a window dealer that sells the style of window you want and copy their design. Another option is to go to a second hand place that deals in building demolition stuff to see if they might have the style you want. If they do buy one and copy it.

Good luck

Fred Mc.

Rick Lizek
01-23-2007, 9:17 AM
That leads to a second question: are there books available that are good references for building/designing windows, especially windows that are nicer than those for a barn or shed?
Mickey

I've got an Audel Series book set on Millwork from the 50's that has good info on building windows. Could use some updating for modern sash work but the basics are there. Places like Conservation Resources have a lot of good retrofit seals and liners for old windows. Also Marvin sells the tilt pak replacement sashes and liners so you can use your existing window frames. You have to look for millwork books. Windows would be a sub heading. I'd check over at FHB Breaktime and the Journal of Light Construction's forum.

I really think you have to go over the numbers. A big savings is if you can install them yourself. It's hard to compete cost wise with a factory producing large quantities of a product verus making your own.

Mickey Elam
01-24-2007, 3:53 PM
I definitely believe that doing the work myself is the way to go. I do have one problem. I've replaced many windows over the years, but the ones I've replaced had wood frames and sash. My current windows have aluminum frames, which I'm not familiar with. The metal frames cause two concerns: first, the thickness of the frame is much less than for a wood window. Second, I'm not at all sure how to remove these windows without either destroying them or the wall. My house has brick veneer that essentially comes up to and over the edge of the frame. I suspect that the windows have a nailing flange that is attached to the sheathing, but I can see no way to get at it, as it's under the brick.

Any thoughts on how to do this?

Thanks.