PDA

View Full Version : Digital Caliper/Fractions

Randy Meijer
01-21-2007, 8:00 PM
I got a mailer for this tool.....a caliper that will measure in fractional inches to 1/64". Not sure I have ever seen one advertised before and thought some might be interested.

http://www.thecraftsmangallery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=30-145

Dave Ray
01-21-2007, 8:18 PM
Randy, Woodcraft has a 4 inch model for $24.99.
The Ad reads: As an accurate measuring device calipers are an essential tool in any shop, but most are too long to carry in your pocket. Until now! The convenient size of these 4" stainless steel calipers makes them easy to keep close by and ready for use. Clear digital read-out in both metric and inch measurements, outside and inside, step and depth, graduated to .001".
Usual disclaimer, I have NO connection with them, just passing along info.

Dave Richards
01-21-2007, 8:39 PM
I have one of the digital calipers and two of the digital scales for the WoodRat based upon the same electronics and bar. As far as I can tell it is very accurate. The digital scale on the Rat makes it even easier to cut repeatable dovetails and box joints.

Out of curiosity, Randy, was the mailer specifically for the digital caliper or was it the one with the drawing of the WoodRat on the front?

Dave Sabo
01-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Dave Ray..........the woodcraft 4" model does not read in FRACTIONAL INCHES like the one Randy links, only decimal inches. Big difference.

Joe Jensen
01-22-2007, 12:26 AM
I got a mailer for this tool.....a caliper that will measure in fractional inches to 1/64". Not sure I have ever seen one advertised before and thought some might be interested.

http://www.thecraftsmangallery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=30-145

Got one for Christmas and I really like it. It's not that I can't do the math for decimal, it's just that I'm getting too lazy :rolleyes:

Jim Isabella
01-22-2007, 8:20 AM
Does anyone know if they make a left handed version of a caliper???

I pick mine up with my left hand all the time (just habit), with the piece to be measured in my right, and then have to stop and switch them around.....

With as many left handed woodworkers as there seem to be, it would make sense, but I have not seen one anywhere.

Thanks.

Dewayne Reding
01-22-2007, 8:30 AM
I guess it would be hard to read if you're holding it backwards.

http://www.1gg.com/html/body_callefthand.html

Brad Townsend
01-22-2007, 8:41 AM
I guess it would be hard to read if you're holding it backwards.

http://www.1gg.com/html/body_callefthand.html WOW! At $150, you really pay a price for being left-handed.:D

Tim Malyszko
01-22-2007, 8:41 AM
Randy, Woodcraft has a 4 inch model for $24.99.

I saw that one the other day when at Woodcraft. Is it accurate?

Dewayne Reding
01-22-2007, 8:43 AM
WOW! At $150, you really pay a price for being left-handed.:D

Why do you think the nuns tried to beat that out of you guys? And now you want special treatment. :)

Dave Richards
01-22-2007, 8:47 AM
Us lefties ought to get special consideration since we had the strength and fortitude to outlast the nuns. After awhile you start to lose feeling in your knuckles anyway and then it doesn't hurt at all. :D :D

Jim Isabella
01-22-2007, 9:51 AM
My Polish Grandmother was harder on me than the nuns. She still believed it was a devil curse........

For $150 I will learn to pick it up with my right hand!!

I found this one for $90:

http://www.medfordtools.com/metalworking/lefthandcaliper.html

I guess I will have to put one of these on the "birthday list"!!

:)

glenn bradley
01-22-2007, 11:25 AM
I have a dial version that I find very useful around the planer. I have wondered about the digital ones. I'd like to see a little finer granularity like 128ths. Of course I'd also like to see them for $20 too so, dream on.

All kidding aside, any comments from users of the digital versions would be appreciated.

John Bush
01-22-2007, 11:37 AM
I bought a digital model from Harbour Freight for ~$16 IIRC. Seems accurate enough for me. Keep watching the HF fliers for a sale. JCB.

Dave Richards
01-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Glenn, the digital ones I have from The Craftsman Gallery are certainly accurate enough. I have compared them and they seem to agree with each other, too.

I did box joints for three boxes on the WoodRat a couple of weekends ago. 1/2" bit, 1/2" fingers. Perfect alignment and dead on tight fit over 8" of travel. Not only accurate but consistent over the length of travel. The one mounted on the Rat for left to right travel has a 14" long bar so I could easily handle the 8" deep boxes.

Brad Townsend
01-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Here's a digital fractional that goes down to 1/128 for only $30. Sorry, righties only.:D

http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7978

Also, a REALLY NICE one with a big display for $50. Only goes to 1/64, but I personally feel that's close enough for wood. I have one of these:

http://www.wixey.com/calipers/index.html

Mike Henderson
01-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Just as a comment, I find the ones with the adjustment wheel a lot easier to use than the ones without it. If you've never used a caliper before, try one of each before you buy.

I bought a Starrett fractional caliper from Craftsman Studios (http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/B1202F-6.htm)- about $50 - and find it to be accurate and easy to use. And it has an adjustment wheel. Sorry - right hand only.

Mike

Randy Meijer
01-23-2007, 1:25 AM
.....Out of curiosity, Randy, was the mailer specifically for the digital caliper or was it the one with the drawing of the WoodRat on the front?

I believe it was just for the caliper with no drawing.

Randy Meijer
01-23-2007, 1:28 AM
I bought a digital model from Harbour Freight for ~$16 IIRC. Seems accurate enough for me. Keep watching the HF fliers for a sale. JCB.

HF has some great prices on digital calipers; but to the best of my knowledge, the don't have one that measurers in fractional inches.

Glen Blanchard
01-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Just as a comment, I find the ones with the adjustment wheel a lot easier to use than the ones without it.

Mike

I agree with Mike.

Although I have digital calipers (more than one actually) none of mine have fractional capability. I own a Wixey angle gauge, a Wixey table saw fence DRO as well as a Wixey planer DRO. Love them all. But I think the lack of the adjustment wheel on the calipers makes it more difficult to make fine adjustments. I called Barry before he made these calipers availble for purchase and asked him if they would have the adjustment wheel, as the image on his website showed no wheel. He confirmed that it would not have the adjustment wheel. I would have bought it otherwise.

glenn bradley
01-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback on comfort / accuracy, Dave. That 4" version just made my list.

Jeff Heil
01-23-2007, 9:17 PM
Lee Valley makes a nice fractional dial caliper, no math to convert from decimals!

Ed Kowaski
01-23-2007, 10:58 PM
I just recieved the Wixey, seems like a nice and accurate caliper. I'll never use the fractions though, fractions and calipers... it's just wrong. ;)

Barry Wixey
01-24-2007, 2:51 PM
OK OK I'll cry Uncle. We have added a thumb wheel to our calipers due to early comments from Glen and more recently others. The very first small production run had about half with and half without. From now on they will all have the wheel.

If you happen to have purchased one without I can send you one for free to add on. www.wixey.com (http://www.wixey.com)

When talking accuracy keep in mind that although we have chosen to only display 1/64" increments that the patent pending display method is actually as accurate as if we displayed 1/256". ( we try to expalin on our website but it is a little confusing)

Barry

Steve Sawyer
01-24-2007, 3:16 PM

I too bought one of those $16 HF digital calipers. I was very hesitant since I bought a conventional dial caliper from them a few years back that I eventually threw out as it was worthless - the gear didn't mesh right with the rack and constantly "skipped" destroying whatever accuracy it may have had.

However, this little digital has worked flawlessly, It almost always reads 0.0 when closed - I only occasionally have to hit the "zero" button. It automatically shuts itself off if I forget to, and every time I get my hands on something that is a good reference - a quality drill bit, parallel bars, etc. I check it and it's always been right on the money. Reads to .0005 too!

I have most fractional-decimal equivalents memorized, and can interpolate the others, but I also cheat ;) - I have a couple of Starret tap-and-drill cards that convert decimal-to-fractional and number-drill sizes.

Mike Henderson
01-24-2007, 3:20 PM
OK OK I'll cry Uncle. We have added a thumb wheel to our calipers due to early comments from Glen and more recently others. The very first small production run had about half with and half without. From now on they will all have the wheel.

If you happen to have purchased one without I can send you one for free to add on. www.wixey.com (http://www.wixey.com)

When talking accuracy keep in mind that although we have chosen to only display 1/64" increments that the patent pending display method is actually as accurate as if we displayed 1/256". ( we try to expalin on our website but it is a little confusing)

Barry
Barry - would you mind posting a picture of your caliper with the adjustment wheel, please? I wish I had known that you made one with an adjustment wheel before I bought the Starrett. Free shipping, too.

Mike

Barry Wixey
01-24-2007, 5:25 PM
Mike;

The photo is not the best. Just took it quickly myself. Need to get a pro to get new ones for the web ite and packaging.

Also, I need to retract what I said before. I just found that there are still a few left without wheels that could get shipped before we get replacements wheels. If anyone is ordering send an email so we can sort through for you or we can send repalcement wheels later.

Hope I can attach this properly

Barry
I guess not!!!