PDA

View Full Version : Received my new lathe

Rick Levine
01-21-2007, 5:04 PM
I just set up my new Delta 14" 46-715 lathe and according to the instructions the headstock can be rotated to any angle. I've tried everything including loosening the bolt that attaches it but it still won't rotate.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-21-2007, 5:15 PM
Rick....I don't have one but...I wouldn't be surprised if they shipped it with a shipping bolt to prevent the headstock from rotating during shipment!

Bob Opsitos
01-21-2007, 6:41 PM
Rick, I just went down to look at mine as I could not remember having ever rotated the head.

Mine didn't seem to want to rotate either, so after looking closely (read disassembly) I found that under the headstock that block that the nut tightens against has two ball detents in the top side to locate the head stock in the "straight on" position. You have to unlock the headstock via the handle and turn the headstock with more force than you'd expect to over come the springs that the balls force against.

You may even have to loosen the nut to get the headstock to move. However, don't loosen it too much and then turn less the balls come off the springs. It's kind of a PITA to reassemble then.

Hope that helps.
Bob

Rick Levine
01-21-2007, 6:49 PM
I figured it out. The two springs had too much tension and the ball berings would not compress enough. I was able to remove the springs and compress them with a pair of channel locks and now the headstock rotates.

Rich Stewart
01-21-2007, 6:51 PM
Glad I don't have one of them as I didn't get any of that.