PDA

View Full Version : My shop is getting very orange

Richard Kagen
01-21-2007, 4:48 PM
Hello All-

I am working on getting a fully functional, reasonable quality woodshop set up. Given that I have never even stepped foot in any woodshop other than my own, Sawmill Creek has been a huge help to me. Glad I found you guys and gals.

Anyway, based on lots of good recommendations and hints here I bought a 10% off home depot coupon on Ebay and bought the Rigid 13" thickness planner and 6" Jointer. As you can see from the picture, there is something seriously wrong with the jointer, but I have been playing with the planner. What a cool tool !!!! I have nothing to specifically compare it to, but I do know machinary in general and have spent some time in stores, etc. I am very happy with the quality of the machine, ease of assembly, completness of the package and performace of the tool. Not sure why, but I just made a bunch of 1/8 oak from some left over hardwood floor I have kicking around.

I am very pleased with the lifetime service contract, specifically the planner looks like a machine (in general not just Rigid) that could break earily and often.

One note, which I posted earlier in the week, it seem that HD will not be stocking the jointer in stores, at least here in NE. I had to drive an hour, but it was great to spend 2 hours alone with LOML and I beat MA on the 5% sales tax, yessssss.

Joe Unni
01-21-2007, 4:55 PM
Richard,

Not sure if you've ever used a jointer before, but the inverted setup may give you a bit of trouble ;)

Really, congratulations on the growth of your shop. You'll learn just as much (although probably more) there as you do here!!

Good luck,
-joe

Frank Snyder
01-21-2007, 5:06 PM
Nice score with discount. I started out with Ridgid's tools and they did their job well. That planer is probably the best 13" out there IMO in terms of cut quality and ease of use. Just make sure you keep the outfeed rollers clean (rubbing alcohol) and use a real DC (no shop vac)...or just let it eject the shavings onto the floor.

Enjoy!

glenn bradley
01-21-2007, 6:29 PM
I knew there was a reason I was having trouble with my jointer! I've got it upside down. All kidding aside it looks like your well on your way to enjoying the hobby.

Pete Brown
01-21-2007, 7:31 PM
I have the same jointer. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. :)

I wonder if HD is dropping a lot of the Ridgid stuff? I was just in a store today looking for their spindle sander; they had nothing in stationary tools except one beat-up drill press.

John Schreiber
01-21-2007, 10:59 PM
That's one way to flatten the top of your bench.

Keith Starosta
01-22-2007, 9:34 AM
That's one way to flatten the top of your bench.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

I don't care who you are....that's funny!

- Keith

Jim Fleetwood
01-22-2007, 6:48 PM
My shop is very orange and I am very pleased with it. After tuning the bandsaw I can cut 3/32 veneers off a 5' board without any drift. I was able to tune the table saw in when I first bought it 2 years ago and it is still dead on. The same for the jointer and planer. The only issue already referred to is keep the rollers on the planer clean and the bed polished.

glenn bradley
01-22-2007, 8:55 PM
Saw an article by a band saw guru who's name escapes me just now. He tricked out a very nice BS and then applied his magic to the Ridgid for comparison. The cuts were indistinguishable from each other. Hmmm, maybe I "need" one of those.

Tim Malyszko
01-22-2007, 9:11 PM
I own many Ridgid tools including the Jointer, 13" Planer, TS3650 Tablesaw and Spindle Sander and have been very pleased with all of the products. Due to me working the local business partner for Emerson Process Management, I am a bit biased towards Emerson Products, which Ridgid falls into.

One good thing about being backed by Emerson is that Emerson is a great company that has always stands behind their products. In many market segments, Emerson is seen as the gold standard. From my experience, if they cannot be one of the top dogs in a particular division, they get rid of that division.

Good Luck with the new toys.

James Carmichael
01-22-2007, 9:39 PM
The Ridgid is a top-heavy jointer, but that's taking it a bit far.

Pete,

I think HD is going towards a "Superstore" model, where only certain stores will carry the stationary tools.