PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Vice

Marc Prudhomme
01-21-2007, 4:33 PM
Hello again

I am going to be mounting a 7 inch vice to the front of my workbench.
Does it make sense to mount 2 more on the end of my bench instead of spending all that money on a tail vice. Has anyone ever done this?

Jim Becker
01-21-2007, 6:00 PM
Marc, vice selection is generally determined by how you want to use the bench and vices. It's a "work function" decision. Folks who use a tail vice usually want something that stays aligned...'hard to do with two separate vices.

What you could do is to wait as I have on the idea of a tail vice. To-date, I have not found a need for one, frankly. And for Neander work, the Veritas pups and WonderPup do nicely to hold a piece I might want to use a hand-plane or other similar tool down.

Mike Weaver
01-21-2007, 7:25 PM
Not to disagree with Jim, but our own Sam Blasco mounted two vises rather that a twin screw:
http://homepage.mac.com/postcromag/PhotoAlbum7.html

It all depends on how you are going to use it.

Of course, YMMV,
-Mike

Jim Becker
01-21-2007, 7:26 PM
I did say "usually", not "always!! LOL!

Marc Prudhomme
01-21-2007, 8:54 PM
cool slide show mike.What material did he useunder the hardwood strips?

Scot Ferraro
01-21-2007, 8:55 PM
Hi Marc,

I actually went through the same deliberation recently. In the end I opted for a quick release vice which I will mount to the front of my bench (once I build it) and skip the end vice. As Jim mentioned, there are some other methods of holding work for planning and if you use a bench stop that should suffice. I actually thought about getting a twin-screw and mounting it on the front for dovetailing, but figured the extra cost was not worth it for what I wanted to do. I have actually worked with hand-tools for a few years now without a vise (using clamps when necessary to secure work) and while this was not the most convenient or efficient way to work, it has worked. You might want to check out The Workbench: A Complete Guide to Creating Your Perfect Bench by Lon Schleining for some ideas -- he has a whole chapter on vises and there are several examples of using two quick release vises at the end of the bench as you suggest.

Thanks!

Mike Weaver
01-21-2007, 11:27 PM
cool slide show mike.What material did he useunder the hardwood strips?

I think Sam used plywood for the whole thing and a LOT of epoxy.

-Mike

Mike Weaver
01-22-2007, 12:30 AM
Another option I've seen used in place of a twin screw vise is similar to what Mike Dunbar used.

Namely, he used two bench screws to hold a long vise face (really a board with two holes through it for the vise screws). These screws are on the long side of his bench like a face vise. In his case, the screws are separated enough to hold a Windsor chair seat for shaping.

There are pics of his bench in The Workbench Book by Scott Lndis (publishd by Taunton Press). There's also an articlw at FWW about it:
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/Workshop/WorkshopPDF.aspx?id=2762

I'm considering such an arrangement for my bench, but either using short pieces of acme threaded rod for the vise screws, or threading some wood with a Beal wood threading kit.

"Hank Knight in SC" also posted a pic over on WoodCentral back on June 19 2005, but I can't find the post (couldn't post a link anyway).

Anyway, more food for thought, eh? :eek::D

-Mike