View Full Version : Noah and Tom's Visit

Jim Becker
11-23-2003, 7:37 PM
Noah and Tom stopped by this afternoon for a visit at the Saws ’N Dust shop...we had a great time chatting about all things woodworking and a few other things, too. Noah was here to pick up his "new" planer as it needed a loving and caring new home now that the "aircraft carrier" is installed and working. I have no doubt he'll put it to good use.

Tom brought along an impressive log section of Box Elder from his neighborhood that will eventually be turned [sic] into a lot of things at the lathe. I should get a whole lot of blanks out of that log and will have to get the new chain on the saw real soon now so I can try some out! (Thanks, Tom!)

Here's the evidence...but Noah was concerned nobody would recognize him without his hat... :D Unfortunately, I also missed the notice about wearing navy and white.

Brad Schafer
11-23-2003, 9:09 PM
larry, curley, and moe (you decide who's who). :D :D

b

Anthony Yakonick
11-23-2003, 9:16 PM
Hey Jim, tell me about that heater in the corner above their heads.

Jim Becker
11-23-2003, 9:38 PM

It's an electric radient unit I picked up from Lee Valley last year. I have two of them and am contemplating a third. They work very well since they warm objects (and you) instead of the air. I actually find I need to turn them "half off" most of the time once things are warmed up. They did not grossly effect my electric bill, either, for some reason. (When I eventually get the upstairs to this building finished, there will be an HVAC system for the whole thing, but for now, it's just the shop. I don't have gas to the building, either, or I'd have a direct vent gas unit no question)

On the really, really cold days last winter, I did warm the air a bit with a kero heater and carefully took it outside before shutting it off to avoid any fumes. Once the air was no longer chilled, I could keep the shop 60-70 degrees no problem. But most of the time I didn't need that extra boost as cast iron on the tools heats up quite nicely from the radient units.

For a turner, one of these mounted on the ceiling about 6 feet away will keep you toasty...or even hot. Not bad for under $60.

John Miliunas
11-23-2003, 9:57 PM
...You guys notice how old Jimbo managed to get his new toy into the picture? :rolleyes: Anyhow, bet you guys had a great visit together. :cool:

Tom Sweeney
11-23-2003, 11:07 PM
Noah & I had a nice visit to your place (beautiful place it is too). Thanks for the turning blanks & especially straightening out my gouges that some idiot ruined. Unfortunately I left them in Noah's van So now I think either he's gonna use them or put them on ebay ;)

Jim's got a real nice shop setup - now that I see what one is supposed to look like I guess I better do something with the nightmare I call a shop :rolleyes:

Ken Salisbury
11-24-2003, 6:40 AM

I believe they are the same as the ones in my shop which I got at Lowes. Here is a link which describes them:
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=209976-1504-7260

Hey Jim - Some people will let anyone in their shop :D

Jason Roehl
11-24-2003, 7:53 AM
Hey Jim - Some people will let anyone in their shop :D

You're right, Ken---mind if I show up sometime on Wednesday afternoon? :D

I hope to leave here about 7a.m. EST on Wednesday, which means I could be pulling in to your place about 2-3p.m. EST, if that's alright.

Noah Alkinburgh
11-24-2003, 8:10 AM
Yep, there I am with no hat on :( Of course some people should be wearing a hat to cut down the flash glare (Brad) but we wont mention names. :D

I had a great time. Tom and I had a little adventure on the way there which almost had us leading the local parade down mainstreet! Jim was extremely genourous and gave us a very nice tour of his home. It was quite the home. Built just for people my size. Only two rooms in the house with ceilings higher than what 6' 9" maybe :D But the library/great room is super! Oh yeah and I came home with "new" tools. A planer, a stand, two mobile bases, and a nice bowl gouge. Ok so the bowl gouge isn't mine, but it did come home with me :) Also, as Tom said, Jim sent us each home with a nice assortment of turning blanks to play with, and Tom loaded up a nice hunk of box elder for me too.

Tom, your gouges are fetching quite a handsome rate on ebay right now. And Jason, nothing like inviting yourself over for Thanksgiving dude :D

Thanks for the great day Tom and Jim

Noah

Ken Salisbury
11-24-2003, 8:10 AM
You're right, Ken---mind if I show up sometime on Wednesday afternoon? :D

I hope to leave here about 7a.m. EST on Wednesday, which means I could be pulling in to your place about 2-3p.m. EST, if that's alright.
Anytime will be fine Jason - looking forward to seeing you and the family.