PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Bridgewood 18" vs Grizzly 17" or 19"

mike hopkins devon,pa
01-21-2007, 12:37 PM
I am deliberating this purchase and thought that I would come here for advice. The Bridgewood is heavier, beefier and has a footbreak, but does not have the quick tension release (Is this important in this caliber of saw?) nor does it have the tracking window ( I suppose I could cut one in), and it looks like the Grizz fence might be better. I want this to be my first and last BS purchase. Do you think the components, castings and BS fundamentals are superior enough on the Bridgewood to warrant the higher price? If I was also deliberating between, if I went for the Grizz, the 17" extreme 2hp and the 19" Grizzly and the price differential is about $250. Do you get enough to warrant that extra $250 in price. Also have most individuals purchased mobility kits for these and is HTC typically the preffered brand?

thanks in advance for any replies

Brian Hale
01-21-2007, 1:13 PM
In a word, Yes, the Bridgewood PBS series BS are worth the money.

See this recent thread for more input....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=49737

Brian :)

JayStPeter
01-21-2007, 1:36 PM
If I could've swung the cost, I would've gotten the Bridgewood. But, I got the Grizzly 17" and am pretty happy with it. I wouldn't let the fence influence your decision too much as I find it pretty light duty. But, still better than some. I have already built a homemade fence for resawing and have another in the works.

Robert Waddell
01-21-2007, 1:57 PM
Mike,
I would have an issue with no quick tension release on the BW but it can be done manually. I haven't seen the BW so no opinions there. I have the Grizzly 17 and would agree with Jay on the fence. It works well for me but it feels like the cheap Al that it is. IMO the Grizzly extreme series is worth it. They weren't available when I got mine. Not to try to complicate the issue but the General International 17" is pretty much the same saw as the Griz but with cast iron wheels and roller guides. If you saw them side beside you would have to say that it appears they were made on the same line. It may be a little bit lower cost than the extreme series with pretty much the same features. And yes, I have seen the GI up close and personal.
Rob

Jeffrey Makiel
01-21-2007, 6:46 PM
I can not give specific advice. Just some general thoughts to your comments.

My old 18" bandsaw does not have a tension release so I don't release the tension. Never had a problem. Not sure if this is a real problem or not. It isn't for me anyway.

When I install a blade, I rotate the wheels by hand to track the blade. It's safer for the blade. Not sure if a tracking window is that important.

-Jeff :)

Dick Bringhurst
01-21-2007, 7:21 PM
diddo what J. Makiel just said. I have the Jet 18" Dick B.