PDA

View Full Version : Pegboard alternatives for wall storage.

Dewayne Reding
01-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Wall storage behind my 8 foot bench is my next task. I've never been a big fan of pegboard for hanging anything but very light objects. Even the good pegboard gets saggy eventually. I plan to use a small amount of HD pegboard, but am looking for alternatives. Plywood? If so, what thickness? My shop is too small to waste any vertical storage opportunities. I can anchor to the benchtop, or a poured concrete wall behind it.

Pictures would be great if anyone has an orderly setup.

Craig Stueve
01-21-2007, 1:06 PM
I really like slatwall for this application. It can hold a surprisingly heavy load and gives you much more versatility then pegboard. The initial cost is about 2 to 3 times as much when you factor in the fixtures but they will last much longer. You can also often pick up fixtures at store closing sales and often on eBay if you are patient. Just do a google search for slatwall and you will see all sorts of ideas.

EDIT: I would have included pictures, but you asked for an orderly setup.:p

Craig

Robert Waddell
01-21-2007, 2:25 PM
Dewayne,
French/sliding dovetails in a solid panel can be made by you for a fraction of the cost of slat wall. You can make holders or shelves and just slide them into position where you want them. 3/4 plywood or glued up solid wood such as poplar should work nicely for you.
Rob

Dewayne Reding
01-21-2007, 3:04 PM
If I make my own, does it work something like this ......

1. Plunge router a dove tail groove (pin?) in the wall.
2. Make for example, a chisel holder fixture from solid wood, then put a corresponding tail in the back of the fixture and slide it into my plywood back back?

Or do you make both pieces separate from the wall, then screw one half to the wall?

I'm sure this must be very basic, but my Wood Magazine collection only has two issues so far. :)

Keith Cope
01-21-2007, 3:09 PM
If you google "french cleat" you'll find a good primer or 2 on making/using them. Basically it's the 2 part you mentioned. Very strong, and very versatile.

glenn bradley
01-21-2007, 4:33 PM
I find the sliding dovetail option good for small cabinets but not for a wall. I guess I change my mind too much. 1/4" thick pegboard is a rarity in my part of the world for some reason but can be had. Combined with "Talon" pegs that lock into position you get a pretty good setup.

If your pegboard is sagging I would say there is too much weight for the supporting structure and you should have firring strips a little more often. This is a catch 22 as the firring strip will undoubtedly be right where you want to place a hook.

I use pegboard for a flexible area and permanently mount racks for other stuff like bench chisels, hammers, framer's squares etc. I also have two sets of good magnetic bars (there are a lot of crummy ones out there, don't bother with them) that hold a constantly cycling supply of screw driver bits, small metal rules, brad nailer and pinner nail leftovers, etc. HF will have their 6" magnetic dish on sale for a couple bucks now and then. This makes a good screw and driver-tip holder while your working. The french cleat works well for larger items but are a bother to me for say a chisel rack.

Joe Unni
01-21-2007, 5:24 PM
Dewayne,

I was never a fan of pegboard until I discovered a solution that works very well. It was in one of the give-away shop tips booklets in one of my magazines.

Basically you can build whatever fixture you need and screw "L" screws into the back. Just align the the screw with the holes in your pegboard and you're good to go. You just tip the fixture into the holes and let it drop. It'll never fall out.

Good luck,
-joe

Brian Doris
01-21-2007, 5:35 PM
Thank you, Joe.
Regards

Jim Becker
01-21-2007, 5:52 PM
Take a look at WOOD Magazine's Idea Shop #5 (http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/wood/story/data/463.xml&catref=wd8) for some great ideas for using cleats for varied (and changeable) wall storage. IMHO, cabinets and other accomodations are always better for tool storage than pegboard or slot-wall...and stuff stays cleaner when it's not out in the open.

Dewayne Reding
01-21-2007, 11:39 PM
I agree Jim. Same goes for open shelving. I would like to build lots of cabinets eventually, but that obviously takes a lot of time when you're new as I am at this. Thanks to all for the tips and links. I'll read up and proceed.