PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on easy doors for storage/bench

Alan Tolchinsky
01-21-2007, 11:08 AM
HI All, I just built a storage/bench that's 8 feet long by 33" tall. It's all made of 3/4" B/C plywood. Now I want to add doors to this to conceal all the stuff in it. It will have a face frame mostly because I want to make one. What kind of doors would you make? I was thinking of 1/8" masonite with a 1x3 wood frame around it simply glued on . What do you think? Thanks for any ideas. Alan

Ben Werner
01-21-2007, 11:17 AM
How about something like these?

1/2" baltic birch, then 1/4" bb glued and stapled on, to look like a fielded panel. The result is strong, looks good, and is pretty easy to do.
Ken

oops sorry - this is not Ben, somebody didn't log out.
-Ken

Alan Tolchinsky
01-21-2007, 9:07 PM
I appreciate the help. Alan

Jim Becker
01-21-2007, 9:18 PM
I've often used the technique that Ben illustrates...1/2" ply with 1/4" poplar overlays for me. For painted, now that my local borg has 1/4" MDF panels, I'd make the faux rails and stiles with it and there would be no plies visible on the reveals.

Dave Richards
01-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Alan, my brother did doors with pine frames and 1/4" masonite panels--see my "Showing Off" thread.

Jules Dominguez
01-21-2007, 10:52 PM
3/4" hardwood plywood, rabbetted on three edges of the back side so the doors would fit into and overlap the face frame, would be quick, simple and effective.

Mike Wilkins
01-22-2007, 9:12 AM
I have used the following 2 methods for shop cabinet doors:

1. Ben's idea of the 1/2" ply with 1/8" overlay around the perimeter(except that I used 3/4" ply with 1/4" ply overlay). Cheap but still looks good.

2. Solid wood frame w/biscuit joints at the rail/stile joint, rabbet the backside and glue in 1/4" plywood panels.

Finish or paint to your liking. You can either make your own knobs/handles or look for some salvaged knobs at your local antique store, Habitat Restore, or local demolition projects.

Good luck and watch those fingers.

Alan Tolchinsky
01-22-2007, 2:15 PM
Thanks again guys. You've given me some great ideas. I have to do something simple since I have very few tools here. So the simplist way is what I'll have to do here. Thanks much.