PDA

View Full Version : Reeves drive lathe owners - Save this

Gordon Seto
01-21-2007, 10:17 AM
I think these are very informative for those Reeves drive lathe owners. My first lathe was the Jet 1236, now I know why I didn't like it.

Links to another forum deleted.

Gordon

Bill Boehme
01-21-2007, 5:05 PM
I think these are very informative for those Reeves drive lathe owners.

Are you referring to the postings that I made on the American Association of Woodturners website?

Bill

Gordon Seto
01-21-2007, 6:48 PM
Are you referring to the postings that I made on the American Association of Woodturners website?

Bill
Yes.
I think it would be a great service to let other Reeves Drive owners know the extensive research and "fix" you did. I also think it would be better to start a new thread and delete this one.

Gordon

Rich Stewart
01-21-2007, 6:53 PM
what's a Reeves drive?

Bill Boehme
01-21-2007, 7:17 PM
what's a Reeves drive?

It is a mechanical variable speed drive system in which either one or both of the pulleys have variable spacing between the sidewalls of the sheave to produce a variable drive ratio. Some riding mowers use this scheme to have a continuously variable speed transmission for the drive wheels.

Bill

Larry Crim
01-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Bill I would be interested in seeing what the original post was so if you could repost it I would appriciate it.
Thanks larry

Rich Stewart
01-22-2007, 2:16 PM
I must be an idiot. I read that ten times and I still have NO idea what a reeves drive is.

Jon Shively
01-22-2007, 2:32 PM
Rich, our old snowmobile was like this in a way. Let's see if I can explain the Reeves drive on my Craftsman lathe. Belt driven, top pulley and bottom pulley. Both pulleys are able to expand and contract. Expanding makes the belt run closer to the center thus slowing the speed of the lathe. Contracting the pulleys causes the belt to run nearer the edges thus increasing the diameter/speed of the lathe. We had a Massey - Ferguson snowmobile in the late 60's when I was a kid and if you were driving, as you increased the amount of throttle you could see the pulley come together causing the belt to run nearer the edge/in a larger circle. Clear as mud?

Johnathan Bussom
01-22-2007, 2:34 PM
Rich, your'e not an idiot. Think of it this way, instead of moving the belts on a step pulley to a larger diameter the pulley is pulled/pushed together resulting in increased diameter. hope this helps!
John

Bill Boehme
01-22-2007, 4:22 PM
Bill I would be interested in seeing what the original post was so if you could repost it I would appriciate it.
Thanks larry
I will not "spam" the Internet by reposting something here that I have posted on another forum.

Bill

Gordon Seto
01-22-2007, 5:20 PM
I will not "spam" the Internet by reposting something here that I have posted on another forum.

Bill

Bill,

I hope you reconsider. If it is something that others want and asked for, then it is not "spam". You have nothing to sell to fix the Reeves drive. You and I don't know each other; so there is no scratching each others' backs going on.

I had unsatisfactory experience with Reeves Drive and got rid of the lathe. Simply telling people to avoid this variable speed lathe is not a solution for those who own the lathe now. It seems you have studied and experimented with it, and had some success. It would be helpful if you would share your knowledge on this system.

Would some Reeves drive owners start a new thread asking for help on how to improve the drive system?

Gordon

Bob Hallowell
01-22-2007, 5:36 PM
Bill, I agree
i would like to read it.

Bob

Andy Hoyt
01-22-2007, 5:58 PM
Hey folks - I got no pleasure from removing the link. Just doing my job, don't make the rules. yada yada.

FYI - It's perfectly fine to post a link to the AAW website. Here 'tis --- http://www.woodturner.org/

But the SMC TOS says that we cannot link directly to a forum.

Hmmm -- I wonder if the AAW site has a forum? Noodle around and find out.

Gordon Seto
01-22-2007, 8:57 PM
Andy,

I apologize for causing the trouble.

Familiar creeker names also pop up in various forums. A lot of us hang around here mainly for the share of knowledge and inspirations from seeing others' works. If SMC can accomplish these; we don't have to worry that creekers abandoning this home.

There are certain Forums that I seldom visit, because of hollow content. I don't want to waste my time on forums that solely scratch each others' back.

Gordon

Bill Boehme
01-23-2007, 1:36 AM
Hey folks - I got no pleasure from removing the link. Just doing my job, don't make the rules. yada yada.

FYI - It's perfectly fine to post a link to the AAW website. Here 'tis --- http://www.woodturner.org/

Hmmm -- I wonder if the AAW site has a forum? Noodle around and find out.
Thanks a lot, Andy. There are rumors flying all over the Internet that they actually do have a forum and I think that the topic may possibly be woodturning. Rumor has it that some Moxie drinking Maine Yankee hangs out there, so you might just want to be aware of this and exercise due caution. I guess that it yanked my chain that some our fellow turners here at SMC were hoping that I would expend some minimal effort (hey guys, I am retired and "effort" is not one of the things that I do unless it involves food) to post something here when they already knew where to just browse and have a peek if they were interested. Besides, even if they do have a forum, I didn't think that my material on Reeves drives was anything earth shattering anyway.

Bill

Jim Becker
01-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Bill, I hope you'll post the information here, too...sad as it may be, there are a great number of folks who turn who are not members of AAW, don't belong to an AAW chapter and so forth...

Bill Boehme
01-24-2007, 1:00 AM
Bill, I hope you'll post the information here, too...sad as it may be, there are a great number of folks who turn who are not members of AAW, don't belong to an AAW chapter and so forth...

As you know, Jim, there are no special requirements to access the AAW site and whatever it has to offer, just as there are no requirements to be a part of Sawmill Creek. Membership in a club or the AAW or anything else is not even asked -- and, of course, just as with most any web site, you can browse anonymously.

Bill

Kurt Whitley
06-14-2007, 10:58 AM

Andy,
Does this mean it is okay to post the url address for that forum as long as long as we are not posting a link??

Cheers,
Kurt

Chas Jones
06-14-2007, 8:05 PM
Hope I'm not treading on anybodies toes here,( had not noticed the No other Forum links clause before, sorry)

But is this what you are referring to as a Reeves drive, If so the following pictures and an extract of my text following some fault/servicing queries elsewhere may be of use.

http://m1.freeshare.us/142fs876428_th.jpg
http://m1.freeshare.us/142fs876723_th.jpg
http://m1.freeshare.us/145fs160173.jpg

The motor pulley spring is trying to close the V all the time, I.E driving the gearing into high speed at the headstock shaft end.
This is counteracted by the fixed V distance selected by the operator when mechanically positioning the headstock shaft pulley with the control lever.
In practice whilst the drive is spinning a minute amount of flexing of the headstock V pulley occurs when you supply a closing force (lower speed) and this causes the belt to ride (basically slip) up the diameter of the V which in turn tightens the belt and forces the motor pulley apart against the spring.
Moving the speed lever to 'High' induces no load on the system as it opens up the headstock shaft pulley, slackening the tension on the belt, this allows the motor pulley to close by pushing the belt further out towards its periphery.

Andy Hoyt
06-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Andy,
Does this mean it is okay to post the url address for that forum as long as long as we are not posting a link??

Cheers,
Kurt It means that you can post something like:

Go to the Main Forum at woodturner.org, find a thread titled, "Kurt Whitley Has Visit from Postal Carrier" and scroll down to post 22 where Mortimer Q. Snerd whines about the latest issue of AW being late.

Bill Boehme
06-15-2007, 2:46 AM
I don't know for certain whether the AAW website at woodturner.org has a discussion forum or what the subject matter would be on that forum if it actually does exist, but rumor has it that there is a search function on their website (use the advanced search) and if you click on forums and enter, "Question: Reeves drive, Delta lathe" for the keywords and "boehme" for the name in the search function that a thread about Reeves drives on the Delta 46-715 will appear. I can't verify this as I personally have not actually seen the thread, but somewhat reliable sources tell me that there is such a thing there.

Just be on the lookout for trolls who will ambush you and drag you kicking and screaming into their lair and do awful things like forcing you to take a green log and turn it into curly ribbons by spinning it on a rotating spindle and poking it with a sharp piece of steel. Be careful, I have heard that otherwise nice people have actually become addicted to this sick activity and can think of nothing else to do with their time.

Bill

Kurt Whitley
06-15-2007, 9:13 AM
Thanks Andy and Bill!

Cheers,
Kurt