PDA

View Full Version : help with positioning chainsaw cut

Mark Pruitt
01-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Here is a log I have sitting in the back yard. As you can see there is some significant rot occurring, but as far as I can tell the rot goes only as deep as can be seen in the photo; the inner part seems to be intact and the log itself has a lot of weight--enough that it took two of us to move it safely. So, I'm looking at this fella and trying to figure out what is the best way to saw it down the pith. Should I position the saw in the center of the rot (first pic), resulting in some of the rot being at the edge of each half; or should I leave the rotted section intact as I saw down the pith (second pic), resulting in the rot being at the center of one of the halves? Just trying to figure out which option would hold the greatest possibility for an interesting bowl or two. Any feedback would be appreciated!!!
55619 55620

P.S. At this point I have sealed the ends of this log to minimize splitting and I intend to saw it in half next weekend.

Gordon Seto
01-21-2007, 10:29 AM
I would cut as the second picture simple because the pitch is off to one side. It should yield more balanced bowls. One blank has tighter growth rings than the other, in stead of uneven growth rings within the same bowl.

Gordon

Jim Ketron
01-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Well I know what I would do with what nature has provided with that Cherry log! Looks like a prime candidate for a piece like this below.
But for bowls I think I would keep the bad spot on one side of the cut.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Uh....Mark....does 1/25/07 mean anything to you?:eek: :rolleyes: :D

George Tokarev
01-21-2007, 12:22 PM
What's your desired outcome? If you want to try to make some bark-up stuff, and guarantee a heart up bowl opposite, go with the second. If a couple of capacity-cut bowls, go with the first. With cherry you might hit brown rot at the bottom of that fissure all the way to the heart that would take away the bark up option. See if you can stuff a blade in to where you think the heart should be. If you hit sound wood an inch or so ahead of the heart, give 'er a shot.

Any heart checks showing on that fresh end? That's the other depth-stealer with cherry.

Mark Pruitt
01-21-2007, 1:58 PM
Uh....Mark....does 1/25/07 mean anything to you?:eek: :rolleyes: :D
Ken, I taught the LOML how to use a chainsaw yesterday!:D

John Hart
01-21-2007, 2:12 PM
I'm a tree cutting moron. You don't want my advice. I'll just learn from the masters.;)

Mark Pruitt
01-21-2007, 2:23 PM
Well I know what I would do with what nature has provided with that Cherry log! Looks like a prime candidate for a piece like this below.
But for bowls I think I would keep the bad spot on one side of the cut.
Jim,
When I said "bowls" I was using the term loosely.:rolleyes: If there is a possibility of getting something that approaches the pic you posted, then that's the direction I would want to take in sawing this log. I guess where I keep tripping up is in looking at a log and learning to envision various possibilities. My challenge is in trying to get a handle on "seeing" forms like the one you've posted, while studying the properties of the log from which they will be cut.

So, is this the cut that you would make if you were aiming to make a piece like your HF?

Jim Ketron
01-22-2007, 6:24 PM
Ok Mark this is not the best drawing but I think you will get the idea.
Cut it down the pith like the first set of pictures on the right.
rip off the sides with your chainsaw (the red marks) that way you can saw the blank round with your band saw. On the drawing to the right I show how to cut the blank round the drawing is not very good but I think you can get the idea the portion to the right side of the blank will be round with bark still on it with the void and not Sq looking as it shows with the cove out of it that's supposed to represent the void.:o

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/untitled.jpg

Mark Pruitt
01-22-2007, 8:51 PM
Great! Thanks for taking the time to make that drawing, Jim! Clear as crystal! Now I'm itching to take this one on.:D