PDA

View Full Version : Credit card billing cycle - 34 days???

Mitchell Andrus
01-21-2007, 9:06 AM
I just noticed that the billing cycle doesn't line up with my "pay on the 1st of the month" plan....

What the..... So, I guess if I'm not paying attention, I get 3 days "off" each month eventually paying a bill "late". -- or is it the other way 'round?

I'll just schedule an automatic payment every 20 days. Should keep em happy.

This stuff makes my brain hurt, time to sharpen the weapons again.

Scumbags.

Mike Cutler
01-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Well now isn't that a little slimy. It would be interesting to see how that billing cycle lines up with the grace period to avoid paying interest on a monthly basis??

Jim Becker
01-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Call the card company and get them to change the due date for your card to something that works with your pay schedule. If they give you a hard time...get a different card. There are so many choices... ;)

Drew Bernat
01-22-2007, 9:34 AM
I'm with Jim. Also, _never_ pay a CC bill late. I did once, and then got nailed with enormous interest. Turns out they start charging interest for each purchase _from the day of the purchase_, and then just "forgive" that amount if you pay on time. Given that I had a 5k bill (this was college, but buying several plane tickets) that was a pretty hefty fee.

Of course, if you do end up paying a little late, you can often (always...) call them up and tell 'em it was a mistake, and they'll credit you back. My wife and I just had that happen in December when they moved the due date forward by about five days - we paid the same day we're used to, and it came in two days late. "Since you're such a good customer" by behind... they're desperate to keep you.

David G Baker
01-22-2007, 11:04 AM
My credit card company must hate me. I have had the card around 17 years and have paid interest only once. I have been trying to understand how they make money on guys like me. They keep sending me things in the mail trying to get me to try some of the new gimmicks but I read the fine print and there are always hidden charges in there somewhere.
I also think they are trying to take advantage of the older folks because they know that we can't, in most cases, have 20-20 vision any longer.
David B

John Shuk
01-22-2007, 7:59 PM
The credit card companies have done this in order to raise the likleyhood of late payments. This adds huge amounts to the bottom line. This isn't just a conspiracy theory. They really are trying to milk us for all that they can get. And I thought usuary was illegal.

Mike Cutler
01-23-2007, 8:43 AM
My credit card company must hate me. I have had the card around 17 years and have paid interest only once. I have been trying to understand how they make money on guys like me. They keep sending me things in the mail trying to get me to try some of the new gimmicks but I read the fine print and there are always hidden charges in there somewhere.
I also think they are trying to take advantage of the older folks because they know that we can't, in most cases, have 20-20 vision any longer.
David B

David.
They have made 2%-4% off of everything you have ever purchased with your card.
Not big money, but money for nothing., and in your case risk free.

Drew Bernat
01-23-2007, 9:53 AM
Yup. They make a little bit off all of us, and then score big on some people. All in the name of convenience.

I love my credit card - I get the appropriate 1% back for something, and it's easier than cash or a check. We're also now that much more sure to check the due date and not assume it's the same every month.