PDA

View Full Version : Texas Ebony Bowl (pic)

Neal Addy
01-20-2007, 9:44 PM
Too cold to spend long in the shop today but I couldn't resist getting out there to do a quick semi-open form. Good thing, too. This piece was so dense (even for Texas Ebony) it would have taken me all day to do a hollow form.

Texas Ebony. 4-1/2" x 1-3/4". Sanded to 800. No finish yet, only buffed.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/addylo/IMG_3339.jpg

Jim Ketron
01-20-2007, 9:53 PM
I love this piece!
Beautiful wood and form!
Got any you can share:D

John Chandler
01-20-2007, 9:58 PM
I think you have done a very good job. I like it.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Neal....Fantastic! Great piece of wood and form!

Steve Schlumpf
01-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Neil, what a beautiful bowl! Really nice looking wood but absolutely love the form! Great looking piece!

Jim Becker
01-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Neil, I love it! Gorgeous piece!

Dario Octaviano
01-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Awesome piece! Love the sapwood/heart mix.

Good to know TX Ebony look that nice...I have a few logs of it. Bad part is most cracked even after I quartered them and applied anchorseal :confused:

Mark Cothren
01-20-2007, 10:30 PM
That is super nice, Neal. Doesn't look like a finish is gonna help it look any better...:D

Bernie Weishapl
01-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Neal that is a beautiful piece. I love the form and I don't think finish is needed. Nice job.

Christopher Zona
01-20-2007, 11:30 PM
What is considered cold in Texas? Had to snowblow in 20°F today and tonight should be around 0°. Thank God for gas furnaces.

Bob Hallowell
01-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Neal,
Very nice! ! question can you put a finish on after you buff with tripoli and white diamonds?

BTW- Neal I just came in from working on a pepper mill in my unheated garage. It's 13deg outside. I don't want to hear about it being to cold to work outside keep pumping them out!

Bob

Neal Addy
01-21-2007, 1:47 AM
Hehe! Hate to tell you this, Bob, but "too cold" for me today was 45F in my non-heated garage/shop. Don't laugh too hard, though. We pay for it down here with consecutive days of triple digits in the summer.

BTW, I won't be putting a finish on this. Like Bernie said, I doubt it would help much. The buffing made it like glass as it is. I had a hard time getting a pic due to the high reflectivity!

Bill Boehme
01-21-2007, 1:59 AM
What is considered cold in Texas?

Well, it depends a lot on what part of Texas you are talking about. In the panhandle, 0 deg. F isn't too unusual. In Brownsville, sometimes it gets below 60 deg. F. In the D/FW area, it can get downright cold, but most of the time, we consider it cold if we need to put on a light jacket. We had a bit of ice and snow about a week ago.

Neal, I really like the form of your Texas ebony vessel. Did you see the short (less than a half page) article in WOOD Magazine a couple months ago about Texas ebony? They showed a picture of mesquite in the article and then went on to say that Texas ebony actually isn't a dark wood at all, but it is hard and dense and if you want a really dark wood then you will need to stain it. I thought about pointing out their error, but I do not believe that anyone has mentioned the error yet. Whoever wrote that blurb is not familiar with Texas woods.

If you can make the January meeting of the Woodturners of North Texas (Thursday, Jan. 25 at 6:30 PM), our guest demonstrator will be C. Tom Crosby and he will be demonstrating turning lidded bowls.

Regarding Bob's question about using white diamond polishing compound -- I would advise against using it on any really dark wood because the white particles get embedded in the pores of the grain and can't be removed. Texas ebony might be dense enough to use it, but I will not be the first to try it. I actually much prefer sanding with Micromesh to bring out the gloss in wood and rarely use a buffing wheel.

Bill

Jonathon Spafford
01-21-2007, 3:16 AM
That is a magnificent piece of wood. The wave in the grain is cool! Really a nice piece... you did a great job turning it!!!

Ed Scolforo
01-21-2007, 6:00 AM
Neal, I like what you've done to a great piece of wood.
Ed

John Hart
01-21-2007, 6:30 AM
Beautiful form and beautiful wood Neal!! Your non-finish is great.:) When I get the shop up to 45 degrees, that's when it's time to rock-n-roll. Woodburner gets the shop up to 70 when the temp outside is in the teens....but 45 is my mark for turning the lathe on.

Bob Hallowell
01-21-2007, 7:58 AM
[quote=Neal Addy]Hehe! Hate to tell you this, Bob, but "too cold" for me today was 45F in my non-heated garage/shop. Don't laugh too hard, though. We pay for it down here with consecutive days of triple digits in the summer.

Neal,
45F That's long sleeve with no jacket weather!!!!:D :D

Btw does anyone know can you put lacquer over a beall buff of tripoli and WD.
Bob

Kurt Rosenzweig
01-21-2007, 9:49 AM
Great piece Neal! The form is right on! I'm gonna have to get me some of that stuff.

Mark Pruitt
01-21-2007, 9:51 AM
Beautiful bowl Neal. I especially like the rim detail.

Ernie Nyvall
01-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Real nice work Neal. I like the form and the rim for it is just right.

Terry Quiram
01-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Wonderful piece. You nailed the shape and I love the rim treatment.

Tom Sherman
01-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Great bowl Neal, I find my self wondering what it would have looked like if it had not been too cold.

Travis Stinson
01-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Perfect Neal. I love it! :cool:

Glenn Hodges
01-22-2007, 8:06 AM
Neal nice form, finish, and picture makes for one beautiful bowl.

Keith Burns
01-22-2007, 9:45 AM
Neal, this is another winner ! Great form and finish. Keep them coming:) :)

Gary Butterfield
01-22-2007, 5:40 PM
Very nice job. I want some Texas Ebony! Where can I get some?

Dario Octaviano
01-22-2007, 6:17 PM
Very nice job. I want some Texas Ebony! Where can I get some?

Here ;) . Other Texans might have some too.

What size do you need?

Ron Journeau
01-22-2007, 7:52 PM
oh, now thats nice.. it reminds me of some old crockery my Grammy used to use to make the very best baked beans in..wow, I can almost smell 'em

Neal Addy
01-22-2007, 8:19 PM
"Curly Woods" here in the DFW area is a good source for Texas Ebony. They're great to work with.

I assume I can post this?