PDA

View Full Version : Ok, my turn. (pics)

Bill Esposito
11-23-2003, 5:24 PM
Hi all,

Just received my starter set from Ken and here's the first 3 pens. I ordered some blanks with my last Woodturners Catalog order so I was prepared for when the mandrels and kits came.

I dont know if I'm using the right tools for this. I'm making the blanks a cylinder with my 3/4" roughing gouge and then finishing it up with my Sorby 1/2" bowl gouge.

Thanks for lookin'.
http://cerealport.net/woodworking/pens1.jpg

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
11-23-2003, 6:54 PM
Hi Bill,

These are GREAT! You now will be on a slippery slope, it's addicti :) ve as all get out!

take care,
Jim :)

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-23-2003, 7:40 PM
Pens look good Bill. The tools you are using are working, from what I can tell. Like they say, "If it works, don't fix it." :D

Scott Greaves
11-23-2003, 8:26 PM
Great Pens Bill! These are your first ones? Very nice!

I know people who just use a roughing gouge to turn their pens, start to finish. But I think switching to a spindle gouge like you do, is a better way. I start with a spindle gouge, and finish up with a skew, but whatever works, works! If you find you really enjoy making pens, come and visit us on the Yahoo Penturners Group.

Scott.

John Miliunas
11-23-2003, 9:49 PM
Hey Bill, I wouldn't care if you used a steak knife on those pens, they look great! What finish did you use on them? And, keep those pics coming. :cool:

Bill Esposito
11-23-2003, 10:40 PM
Hey Bill, I wouldn't care if you used a steak knife on those pens, they look great! What finish did you use on them? And, keep those pics coming. :cool:
John, thanks. I used Crystal Coat. Sanded to 400 and then burnished with 1500 and put on the Crystal Coat at about 2500rpm to get it warm.

Tom Sweeney
11-23-2003, 10:50 PM
Especially if they're your first ones. What kind of wood are they?
I like the detail on the end of the middle one
Keep up the good work!

Ken Salisbury
11-24-2003, 6:45 AM
Hi all,

Just received my starter set from Ken and here's the first 3 pens. I ordered some blanks with my last Woodturners Catalog order so I was prepared for when the mandrels and kits came.

I dont know if I'm using the right tools for this. I'm making the blanks a cylinder with my 3/4" roughing gouge and then finishing it up with my Sorby 1/2" bowl gouge.

Thanks for lookin'.

Very nice Bill. Make sure you save "your first pen" I wish i had done that but I am about 900 past that point. :D. I normally use a spindle gouge and a semi round scraper or in some cases a skew. Whatever works for you is fine.

Noah Alkinburgh
11-24-2003, 8:13 AM
Bill,

Glad you got your pen kits...I was begining to think that NH was a black hole of pacakge delivery :) or maybe the bermuda triangle of the northeast.

The pens look great! I have 20 blanks cut up and 12 glued up waiting for me now. Looking forward to seeing some more.

How does that slim line feel with the funky end? Does it write nicely like that?

Noah

Bill Esposito
11-24-2003, 8:43 AM
How does that slim line feel with the funky end? Does it write nicely like that?

NoahNoah, thanks.

The pen still writes nice, accoring to my wife. I was never into that style of pen tip but lots of folks are. My writing grip is somewhat unconventional (used to get slapped on the back of the head by the nuns all the time because of it) so it's not a grip for me.