PDA

View Full Version : A Pen

Bob Hallowell
01-20-2007, 8:34 PM
At Christmas time I was set up at our mall for a couple saturdays. A man came and looked at my wares he was here visiting his wife's parents. He was from Holland living in South Africa and it spotted my antler gent's fountain pen I was selling for $75 with a nice Box. He bought it and said that it was a bargin that he normaly spends $200 and up on pens. I told him I could change the price to $201 but he would bite.

Long story short I decided to have some high end pens with me from now on for when a guy like that comes along.

So here is my first- It's a statesman made from water buffalo horn

The pics aren't that good cause the Horn shines as much as the metal in person.

thanks,
Bob

Bonnie Campbell
01-20-2007, 10:09 PM
VERY classy looking pen!

Stan Cook
01-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Looks nice. I don't mean to scare you, but you may want to hang on to that pen for a while. Buffalo horn has a tendency to crack several months down the road.

Bernie Weishapl
01-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Bill that is a mighty fine looking pen. Nice job.

John Chandler
01-21-2007, 12:33 AM
Looks sharp. Good work.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Nicely done Bob! I've not tried turning antler or horn yet. I hear they have an odor.

John Hart
01-21-2007, 6:15 AM
Nicely done Bob! I've not tried turning antler or horn yet. I hear they have an odor.

Not as much as advertised Ken. I was surprised that the odor wasn't as powerful as I had feared. It's not as bad as sticking your arm in a fire and smelling all the hair burn off.:rolleyes:

Great looking Pen Bob!!! Congratulations on your sale. Good luck on raising your prices!!;) :)

Chris Barton
01-21-2007, 8:20 AM
Hi Bob,

That's a great idea but, as a "former" serious pen collector let me tell you that the pens your visitor might have been refering to are vastly different than any kits or supplies that I can find available. Case in point, in 1999 I bought a 75th anniv Monteblanc 149 (Diplomate) fountain pen new from Monteblanc. It has a smal diamond mounted on 24k gold trim on the top protion of the cap, all trim and the nib is 24k gold and machined beyond anything I have ever seen before or since. While it was an anniv pen and only 1,999 were made, it wasn't one of their truely expensive pens. That pen cost more than a PM3520a. Fountain pens tend to be more sought after and collected than any other type.

Bob Hallowell
01-21-2007, 8:42 AM
Chris,
I know that but I didn't figure it hurt to have a $125 dollar pen or 2. I know this guy would have bought one. And with some of the wine fests I have been invited to this summer I am hoping there will be more.

Bob

Chris Barton
01-21-2007, 8:49 AM
Bob,

Take a look at "majestic Pen" by Penn State (model # PKMAFGP). This approaches collectable status. But, I would only make one and then do all other production of that sample as a "made to order" commission. This is the only pen I have seen that my old pen collectors buddies would likely have been interested. Good luck with you idea!

Ernie Nyvall
01-21-2007, 10:16 AM
It's not as bad as sticking your arm in a fire and smelling all the hair burn off.:rolleyes:

Boy howdy John, you've really got me wondering with that statement.:eek: :D

Bob, it's a great looking pen, and if the guy is a collector, well evidently he was comparing yours with his $200 pens, and thought it was well worth it. Good luck!!

Bob Hallowell
01-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks,
Chris I planned on one of those also. Plus csusa makes a new Emperor kit that I also plan on making.
One question though should all my high ends be fountain or should I make a rollerball to?

Bob

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=050-4131

Jonathon Spafford
01-21-2007, 6:31 PM
That is a beautiful pen... I have only turned WB horn once and that was for a ring for the center of a pen. It does have a funny smell (kinda sickninly sweet) but I didn't have problems with it cracking. I imagine if you are careful about not heating it up it should be no problem!!!

Chris Barton
01-21-2007, 8:22 PM
Thanks,
Chris I planned on one of those also. Plus csusa makes a new Emperor kit that I also plan on making.
One question though should all my high ends be fountain or should I make a rollerball to?

Bob

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=050-4131

I like the Emperor as well. Of the folks that I know that seriously collect pens, all but one collects fountain pens exclusively. The single standout collects rollerballs. Most folks you would meet on the street that are under the age of 50 haven't ever used a fountain pen and seem to have some reservations about them. I like fountain pens for many reasons, the feel, the flow of ink, the expressiveness of the written form and they are the ultimate "conservation" piece if you will, nothing is ever thrown away and all you really have to ever have is ink, which some of my more nutty pen friends make on their own.