PDA

View Full Version : Late pics of X-mas project/gift.

Terry Bigelow
01-20-2007, 8:05 PM
Finished this for my in-laws before x-mas, just got the picture posting thing down(sort-of). I'm new here (sort-of) and haven't been able to post any work until now. This was made of Alder and finished with a dye stain and pre-cat laquer. I'll have to post some more projects and maybe a shop tour. Seems like everyone here likes to see both (me too). Thanks to everyone for being so helpful and nice. I love this site and the wealth of knoledge, experience and information to woodworkers of all levels.

Jim Becker
01-20-2007, 8:40 PM
Terry, that's a really nice piece! 'Hope the in-laws love it!

Corey Hallagan
01-20-2007, 8:58 PM
Very nice Terry, great looking piece!

Corey

Dan Oliphant
01-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Nice project Terry, turned out great.

Chad Pater
01-20-2007, 10:41 PM
That is a beautiful piece, great work! I love it.

Kristian Wild
01-20-2007, 11:04 PM
That's a really nice blanket chest Terry. I love the tone of the stain on the alder, very warm.

Kris

Jim Fox
01-21-2007, 9:14 AM
Never having built something like that, just kitchen type cabinets and some knick knack shelves. What would one do to combat that bowed top?

All in All, fabulous looking piece.

Terry Bigelow
01-21-2007, 11:17 AM
It actually happened days after it was glued up when we had a pretty big swing in temperature here in GA. Also we have some serious humidity here too that I'm sure contributed to the problem. As for the fix, I used battens (strips of wood running cross-grain) that were attached under the lid which really took care of business. Of course there are other ways to fix it that had I thought about I would have done in construction, such as bread board ends. Anyhow, I guess I went the easy route with the battens but it worked great.

Don Stanley
01-21-2007, 11:48 PM
The in-laws will enjoy this piece forever, not to mention all the bragging rights that come with it:D

-Don