PDA

View Full Version : David Marks coming to St. Louis Woodcraft

Tim Malyszko
01-20-2007, 7:39 PM
In case anyone is interested, while at Woodcraft today, I saw an announcement on their whiteboard saying that David Marks would be at the St. Louis Woodcraft March 10 and 11.

Just wanted to pass the info along for fellow St. Louis Creekers.

Joe Mioux
01-20-2007, 9:14 PM
I noticed that last night ...... while I was there buying a few things

March 10-11 is what .... a weekend?

Joe

Keith Cope
01-20-2007, 9:25 PM
Saturday and Sunday--too bad, I think I'll be out of town.

Jim Dunn
01-20-2007, 11:24 PM
Almost as good as having his "Normness" come to town:eek::D:D I'll go if Gary Hermann buys me a cup of coffee:p Course I'll probably have to promise not to buy anything:o

Mike Heidrick
01-20-2007, 11:44 PM
What will he be doing there?

Gary Herrmann
01-21-2007, 12:54 AM
Probably listening to Jim complain because I put too much sugar in his coffee.

Gary Herrmann
01-21-2007, 12:54 AM
Probably listening to Jim complain because I put too much sugar in his coffee.

Very weird. How did two of those show up?

Jack Ferrell
01-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Mike, I took a class from David in San Antonio covering several things and found it very informative, not to mention how great a guy David is. As far as St Louis, his web site says;

St Louis, Missouri Woodcraft
Contact Woodcraft to register for classes.
2077 Congressional Drive
West Port Area
St. Louis, Missouri
(314) 993-0413
stlouis-retail@woodcraft.com (stlouis-retail@woodcraft.com)
Finishing with David Marks Demo
March 10, 2007 - 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
David will show students how to sharpen and use scrapers to produce a smooth surface. He will demonstrate various ways to color wood using chemicals and dyes such as potassium dichromate, ferrous sulfate and dyes. David will demonstrate two different types of clear finishes, shellac & wax and hand rubbed oil.
Knife-Cut Veneering with David Marks Demo
March 10, 2007 - 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM
In this 4 hour demo, David will demystify the veneering process, by demonstrating techniques geared to the small shop. He will begin by showing you how to handle veneer safely to avoid damage and then demonstrate how to mix a solution which will stabilize and flatten difficult veneers such as crotch patterns and burls that have become warped, bubbled and brittle. In addition, David will demonstrate proven cutting techniques that will enable you to safely cut and join book matches, slip matches, and radial matches. There will be a discussion of appropriate adhesives, clamping techniques and vacuum pressing followed by a question and answer session.
Hand-Cut Dovetails with David Marks Demo
March 11, 2007 - 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
In this half day demo, David will introduce students to one of the oldest, strongest joints known to woodworking, the dovetail. David will show students how to prepare the stock which is critical, plus demonstrate various systems for laying out the proportions of the pins and tails, the use of a cabinet maker’s scribe, and different methods of cutting them using a hand saw as well as a band saw. After the pins and tails have been cut out, David will show students a shop made guide that will ensure accuracy for finishing off the cuts with a sharp chisel. Vacuum Press with David Marks Demo
March 11, 2007 - 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM
In this four hour demonstration David will introduce students to the vacuum press, explaining the fundamentals of how it works and why it has become one of the best choices for clamping veneers and bentwood laminations. Students will learn how and why the vacuum press works, the sequence and necessary steps for successful glue ups and the pitfalls to avoid.

Gary Herrmann
01-21-2007, 1:18 PM
Talked to the guys at WC. Doesn't sound like these will be hands on. Class size is 5-35. 13 signed up for the finishing class so far.

I signed up for that one and the dovetail class. They are $90 each. Its a little expensive, but I figure I'll learn something and it'll be kinda cool to see him in person. I'm viewing it as 2 half day vacations for myself.

Jim, don't forget your coffee mug.

David Cramer
01-24-2007, 11:33 AM
He is a great friendly guy in person and just as he comes across on his show. Helpful and genuinely kind. The guy truly cares about you learning and teaching you what he knows. Him and Norm are absolutely great teachers and you couldn't go wrong with either. David is worth what he charges and then some. I hope you can go.

Dave