PDA

View Full Version : Yorkcraft 8" jointers

Chad Wallace
01-20-2007, 7:22 PM
Hello all,

Does anybody own or know about the quality of the Yorkcraft 8" jointers? Are they built in a ISO certified factory? I am in question on buying the 8" Grizzly for $834. w/shipping or Yorkcraft for $730 w/shipping. Someone please try to line me out!

Thanks in advance,
Chad

Alan Greene
01-20-2007, 7:39 PM
I purchased the YC8J just before Christmas. I am very happy with the fit and finish, and especially the customer service. I have not had a chance to use it that much yet, but so far so good.:)

Jake Helmboldt
01-20-2007, 7:43 PM
Chad, search the forum and you'll find a lot of threads about, or with content about, the York 8" In general people seem to like them very well.

As for ISO, there was a recent discussion about the significance of it, and the bottom line is that, relative to ensuring you get quality it means nothing. An ISO factory simply has to have a documented protocol and system, but it can be a consistently poor one, but as long as consistent and documented, they can be ISO.

I would base my decision more on what feedback you get from other owners.

JH

Al Willits
01-20-2007, 8:57 PM
Another recently gotten York owner, I have about 14-15 hours on it and its worked fine, like anything that has critical adjustments, a bit of time is required to set the jointer up correctly, I'm still fine tuning, but it does make very nice cuts, the 4 blades probably help make that so.
I'd buy another one.

Al

Trey Isbell
01-21-2007, 5:52 PM
I just got the yorkcraft 8" jointer about a month ago. I have basically put it together and half way set it up. The overall flatness of the tables is pretty good. I am so far fairly impressed with the machine for the money. The paint finish of the jointer table itself could be a bit better. Overall I think it is probably the best machine for the money but I have heard alot of good things about the new grizzly machine also. The 4 knife cutterhead is going to be a plus as far as the finish goes. The point is you can get a lemon no matter who you order from. I think you would be happy with either machine.:)