PDA

View Full Version : Buffing System

Bernie Weishapl
01-20-2007, 7:13 PM
Well was kinda surprised when the mailman came today and I guess would be a gloat. It seems my son had ordered this from Woodcraft in Virginia before Christmas. Well as luck would have it they were out but would order him one. Well I guess it didn't come in until two weeks ago. So he got it packed up and I got it today. It is a Beall Buffing system. I had a 1725 rpm 1/3 hp motor so it worked out great. Got it mounted and tried it out. All I can say is wow. I tried it on a scrap piece of walnut. That a a little satin lacquer or poly and man oh man does it shine.

Neal Addy
01-20-2007, 7:18 PM
Congrats, Bernie!

I'm sure you've heard to hang on to those pieces. Let me tell you from experience... they mean it!

One moment you are happily buffing away, the next moment... IT'S GONE!!! :eek:

Jason Slutsky
01-20-2007, 7:26 PM
Congrats, Bernie!

I'm sure you've heard to hang on to those pieces. Let me tell you from experience... they mean it!

I also have one of these Bernie and I love it. Mine shed a lot of fiber and lint the first few times I used it but has slowed down a lot.

Like Neal said, hang on tight. Beale recommends about 2000ish on the rpms. I buff at 1850 and have sent a couple pieces flying.

Jim Ketron
01-20-2007, 7:27 PM
Yep Takes a while to learn how to hold them right, then sometimes it will still throw one:mad: you might want to look at the bowl buffs too!
I love mine!

Neal Addy
01-20-2007, 7:34 PM
I've only flown one so far. I call it the "NASCAR bowl" (it hit the wall). Didn't shatter it but it put a nice crack in one face.

Best advice I know is never let it grab an edge in the direction of the spin. Hold the bowl with the rim/opening facing down. Rim up is the best way to achieve launch.

John Hart
01-20-2007, 7:35 PM
Hot Diggity! Way cool Bernie!:)

Travis Stinson
01-20-2007, 7:42 PM

And the sound that makes...................:eek:

Corey Hallagan
01-20-2007, 7:56 PM
Way to go Bernie and congrats!!

corey

Bob Hallowell
01-20-2007, 8:23 PM
Bernie You will love it. I got mine for Christmas and the first time I used it I looked like a snowman!

Bob

Ps. you can pick up a bowl buff set that screws right in the same mandrel for $38 or so at woodcraft

Neal Addy
01-20-2007, 8:33 PM
Bernie, if you haven't already seen it check out the Beall buff video on Woodcraft's site. J.R. Beall shows how it's done. Worth a watch.

http://www.woodcraft.com/videos.aspx

Ken Fitzgerald
01-20-2007, 8:44 PM
Congrats Bernie! And....as everyone else has said......if you ain't careful......Now you see it .....Now you don't!

Steve Schlumpf
01-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Bernie - you are going to love it! Had mine for about 2 months now and love the difference it makes on a finish! Have to second Jim's suggestion of picking up a couple of bowl buffs - you'll be glad you did!

Bernie Weishapl
01-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Thanks everyone. Yep I asked what sizes to get and have already made out a order for Monday. Yes it does make a difference. I couldn't believe the difference on the little birdhouses I did tonight using the buff and the first ones I did without. Yep kinda figured it is like my buff I use for clock work. Same thing with it now you see it now you don't.

Jason Slutsky
01-21-2007, 11:41 AM
I came up with a new idea for an accessory for the Beale buff. Just set up right behind your lathe.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Jason...that'll work but you have to mount it upside down...and be standing in it. The bank shots off the floor, walls or ceiling are disasterous!:D

Skip Spaulding
01-21-2007, 6:24 PM
Bernie, Nice to get a great gift like that a little late. Kind of keeps the Season going! Will be looking for your 1st polished pics! Skip