PDA

View Full Version : Beginners spokeshave recommendation?

Luke McFadden
01-20-2007, 6:34 PM
I've made many posts here (and always get the help I need!). I'm looking at getting a spokeshave or two for canoe paddle making.

Can anyone recommend any new or used ones? I've looked the used Stanley plane guide, and was looking for something like this.

(and as a question, when are some blades split?)

L

Ken Werner
01-20-2007, 6:38 PM
Hi Luke,
I've shaved some paddles. I like my Record 151, because of the easy blade adjustment. You can find Stanley 151s on eBay pretty often. I've heard bad things about the Kunz. You might want to look at the various high end ones, from LV and LN, but I've no experience with them.
Good luck,
Ken

Ryan Cathey
01-20-2007, 6:46 PM
You should look into the Stanley number 60. I've never used one but the straight and curved blades have got to be useful.

-Ryan C.

Harold Beck
01-20-2007, 10:36 PM
I have both the flat and curved bottom Records. Worked fine once properly tuned and adjusted but that took a while and some learning on my part.

I then took a class and we made a wooden spokeshave from a Lee Valley kit. I loved the adjustment method which gave a positive depth adjustment. Worked so well I bought the kit for the larger size and made that one. They are by far my favorites. The Records haven't been out of the tool box since I made the first wooden one.

It didn't take long, maybe 4 hours other than final shaping and finishing. The posts come off the blade when sharpening and I found that helped the sharpening compared to some other wooden spokeshave blades. I made one with the brass rub strip and one without. I used bubinga for the body and haven't noticed a lot of wear yet on the one without the brass strip.

Good luck with whatever you chose,

HB

Pam Niedermayer
01-21-2007, 4:10 AM
I strongly recommend the Brian Boggs dvd from LN showing how to use and sharpen drawknives and spokeshaves before making buying decisions. This dvd also shows his modified shaving horse. Lots of tricks shown.

My guess is that you'll need a convex curved shave, depending on the kind of paddles you'll make.

Pam

Matt Newton
01-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Dave's Shaves in North Conway, NH makes a number of wooden spoke shaves that work like a dream. His new adjustment mechanism makes this task simple. They arrive at your door ready to go. No adjusting necessary. I was exposed to his shaves at a chair making class and now it is the tool my hand goes to first.

Matt Newton

PS, I have no monetary stake in the company.

Mark Sweigart
01-21-2007, 4:55 PM
I like the Stanley #53. It has a knob that allows you to adjust the opening in the mouth, hence altering the amount of wood removed with each cut. Also, it has one of the "split blades" that I think you are referring to. It is not actually 2 blades, but one that is in a U shape. A screw in the base of the U allows you to hold the blade down.

Hunter Wallace
01-21-2007, 11:05 PM
I second Mark's Stanley #53...They're super affordable,
easily found (well, relatively) and mine has been a work
horse for years. I would also add the Bogg's curved sole
spokeshave; it's as beautiful as it is functional.

Luke McFadden
01-21-2007, 11:19 PM
I just won what is hopefully a good spokeshave to begin to learn on. I'm also looking forward to learning about doing some tool restoration.

Here is a picture: http://www.ncwcom.com/~seekings/spokeshave.jpg

It is shipping tomorrow!

L

Hans Braul
01-22-2007, 6:41 AM
I have the LV and I love it. The mouth opening is variable by shims and the adjustment on blade depth is very fine. I highly recommend it.

Hans