PDA

View Full Version : aligning table saw...

chris fox
01-20-2007, 6:03 PM
My job today is to get my Jet contractors saw up to square. This is my first time at a true brakedown and getting this dialed in. The saw was given to me and I dotn have the manual and did a search which led to discussing PALS.
Is their a link or site that does a set by step for adjusting the arbors etc.?

thanks

CPeter James
01-20-2007, 6:21 PM
Maybe this will help.

http://home.metrocast.net/~cpjvkj/tstu.htm

CPeter

glenn bradley
01-20-2007, 6:57 PM
Definitly PALS. One of the best $20 I ever spent, seriously. Order them today. Beyond that a search for 'table saw alignment' via Yahoo gave me a ton of info. Here's another to add to CPeter's:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/basic/tsalign.html

chris fox
01-20-2007, 7:28 PM
Ok. I got the trunnions down to .005" compared to .015-020" where it was. But read a good goal is to get .003". I loosed the 4 bolts(2 front and 2 rear) The front bolts are PITA jsut because of access. I am using a piece of hardwood wedged against the base for leverage while I tighten the rear 2 bolts. I CAN SEE WHY PEOPLE USE THE PALS!
The problem is the start point I measure to gets shifted thus always remeasuring and not being able to keep the start point of measure accurate??:confused: Any other input to really zero in?
Thanks for the links, I found both of these after I sent the post, thye have helped.

Chris

glenn bradley
01-20-2007, 7:42 PM
Loosen the bolts only enough to allow movement. Then tighten one a bit more than that so it becomes the pivot point. That will keep your back and forth movement somewhat contained. When checking your progress don't try to use an original reading as a reference once an adjustment has been made. The important thing to you after an adjustment is the difference between the MARKED tooth in the front position v.s. the reading you get when checking the same tooth at the back position. If you start at zero and get a second position reading of .005; a difference of .005 - adjust. You may now get a start position of .003 with a secondary position of .006; a difference of .003 - much better. Did that make sense?

chris fox
01-20-2007, 7:52 PM
I worked off the back hard to get bolt and worked from there. I have been sliding the gauge front to back with the blade stationary and not marking a tooth...if I mark a tooth with a sharpie and rotate the blade to the front visversa I am not .001".

thanks