PDA

View Full Version : new bearings on jet

Larry Crim
01-20-2007, 5:56 PM
I just replaced all three bearings and belt on my Jet 1442 and It was easier than I thought it would be. Anyone thinking of doing it yourself give it a try it is easier than you would think. I wanted to replace the belt and the large pulley due to damage I did to the pulley with the shaft lock. The tabs for the shaft lock are on one of the pulley sides and are really thin aluminum so I had broken a couple off. while inspecting I noticed one of the bearings sounded a little rough so I decided to replace all three bearings since I was going to remove the shaft anyways. All three bearings were less than 20 dollars at a local supply house and 4 bucks for the belt. Jet wanted about 45 bucks for the same items. All in all it is pretty simple and turned out fine so do not hesitate to tackle it yourself even if you have only a limited mechanical experience you can do it. If you want to do it and have any questions drop me a pm.
Larry

Jim Ketron
01-20-2007, 9:55 PM
Sounds like you are good to go now!
So get busy turning:D

Larry Rupert
01-21-2007, 3:14 PM
Larry, (from one Larry to another) do you have a brand / part number for the belt? I'd like to get a spare, as I think my time is coming.... :)
Larry Rupert

I just replaced all three bearings and belt on my Jet 1442 and It was easier than I thought it would be. Anyone thinking of doing it yourself give it a try it is easier than you would think. I wanted to replace the belt and the large pulley due to damage I did to the pulley with the shaft lock. The tabs for the shaft lock are on one of the pulley sides and are really thin aluminum so I had broken a couple off. while inspecting I noticed one of the bearings sounded a little rough so I decided to replace all three bearings since I was going to remove the shaft anyways. All three bearings were less than 20 dollars at a local supply house and 4 bucks for the belt. Jet wanted about 45 bucks for the same items. All in all it is pretty simple and turned out fine so do not hesitate to tackle it yourself even if you have only a limited mechanical experience you can do it. If you want to do it and have any questions drop me a pm.
Larry

Larry Crim
01-21-2007, 6:43 PM
Larry
The part # is vb-25 that is the jet part # And I think it equals a 25" belt 1/4 " wide not sure though, If you remove your belt and take it to a auto parts store they can match it for you.
Larry

Larry Rupert
01-21-2007, 9:30 PM
:)

Thank you, will do - Larry