PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for raising curved panel

Brian Shutter
11-23-2003, 1:40 PM
I've been lurking here for a while but this is my first post.

I need to cut two raised panels for adjacent doors that have a continuous curve on the top. My problem is that I only have a small router (PC 690, which is 1.5hp) and a vertical panel raising bit. Is there any way I can make this work?

I have considered making a jig that would consist of a piece of MDF with the curve cut into it (fortunately the radius is constant--it's a true arc) and mount that to the router table so that the curve is up, then run the panel along the jig. I can see one problem with this and that is that I don't think I can get the bit high enough to match the other three beveled sides of the panel.

I'm having a hard time picturing this in my mind so I don't even know if the concept will work. What do y'all think? If this won't work or if you have other ideas or have solved this same problem another way please let me know.

Maybe I could raise the panel on the TS and use the same jig...

Thanks.

Brian

Todd Burch
11-23-2003, 1:56 PM
Brian, welcome to the group!

I like your idea of making a curve, but doing it vertically is a divot waiting to happen.

However, in keeping with your same line of thought, have you thought about making a table for your router, so that the vertical panel raising bit and router will be horizontal, and then your panel to be raised will simply slide on the table of the jig.

There are router tables sold for doing this, but I think you could crank one out to raise just two panels pretty fast, and it wouldn't take that much material either.

If you go this route, (no pun intended), set up your router so that the panel raising bit is just above the plane of your table, so that your panel will be face-down when routing. You can screw one side of your router as the pivot and have the other side on an adjustable slot so that you can raise the panel in multiple passes if you care to do that.

Todd.

Brian Shutter
11-23-2003, 2:17 PM
However, in keeping with your same line of thought, have you thought about making a table for your router, so that the vertical panel raising bit and router will be horizontal, and then your panel to be raised will simply slide on the table of the jig.

Todd.

Todd,

I hadn't considered mounting the router horizontally but I think it's the solution. It makes much more sense. I'm going to draw something up and see what I come up with. Thanks.

Brian

Joe Tonich
11-23-2003, 2:46 PM
Hi Brian,

Check out Ken S's website on "Ten second tennons". That horizontal router table may be just what you need.

Joe