PDA

View Full Version : ISP providor question/problem

Dan Connolly
01-20-2007, 12:36 PM
ISP was fine last night, today I can only get to a few web sites, can't get t hotmail, woodnet, yahoo home page is fine, can't get to yahoo mail, can't get to real estate web site----thought it had to do with ending in .com vs. .org---but that doesn't seem to make a difference either.

Just curious what would cause this and what the "correct" term for such a failure would be.

Also IE7 or firefox makes no difference.

Thanks
Dan

Carson Saunders
01-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Sounds like a problem with your ISPs router. Each time you attempt to got to a website, your ISP has computers that direct your request to the proper location. Sounds these computers are experiencing issues. It happens.

David G Baker
01-20-2007, 6:50 PM
Dan,
Number one thing to do is contact your ISP for help and advice.
Number 2 IE7 crashed my computer after having worked great for around a month. I could not do a system repair, could not get to the safe mode. I re-installed all of my software and because I didn't think about the possibility of IE7 being the problem, I reloaded it as well. Less than a week later the same thing happened. This time it dawned on me that the only thing that I had added to my computer in a long time was IE7, so I installed IE6 and haven't had a problem since. I think the problem was IE7 has a conflict with some program I have on my computer, maybe Zone Alarm Security Suite.
Good luck, let us know what caused you problem when you find out.
David B

Travis Porter
01-20-2007, 7:46 PM
It could be your ISP's router or their DNS service.

To check to see which it is, open a command prompt - run under start menu and type cmd and enter.

type tracert woodnet.com enter and see what you get. If it says unable to resolve host name or unknown host it is DNS. If you see numbers and then *'s it is routing either at your ISP or whoever they are connecting upstream.