PDA

View Full Version : What is proper finish for a cutting board?

Pete Lamberty
11-23-2003, 12:59 PM
Hi Everyone, I know I have seen it here before but the search button wouldn't let me search. No matter how many words I put into the search window I kept getting a message that said that I have to have more then four words to make a search. Any way, what is the oil finish that I can use for a cutting board that will come into contact with food? Thanks, Pete

Dennis McDonaugh
11-23-2003, 1:10 PM
Pete, they sell a cutting board oil at woodcraft--$6.99 a bottle. You can also use mineral or vegetable oil.

Robert Waddell
11-23-2003, 1:40 PM
Pete,
The best and cheapest thing is mineral oil with parafin added to it. You can get the oil from the drug section and parafin from the home canning section of the grocery store. I heat the oil up to about 160F and add about 5% parafin wax to it. Let it cool and pour it back in the orginal bottle. The mixture will be cloudy when cooled. The wax seals and keeps the board from drying out as fast. For best penetration heat this mixture up before applying to the board.
Robert

P.S. Vegtable oil can and probably will turn rancid rendering the board unusable for food prep.

Kent Cori
11-23-2003, 6:18 PM
Pete,

Another option is walnut oil which you can get from most health food stores. I prefer it over mineral oil. It is completely food safe as it is intended to be used as a salad dressing. However, there are a very small percentage of people that have a nut alergy. I suspect it is very unlikely that even they would have a reaction to food cut on a board treated with walnut oil but I suppose it is possible. If you know who you're giving the board to, it is likely not a major issue.

I too would strongly recommend against vegatable oil. It will definitely go rancid.

Jim Becker
11-23-2003, 7:18 PM
The best and cheapest thing is mineral oil with parafin added to it.

I'm with Robert on this one...6:1 ratio of mineral oil and paraffin wax put on hot and scraped off when it cools or just minieral oil. It's about the best renewable "finish" for this kind of item. We maintain our butcher block kitchen island surface as well as our soapstone counter tops with mineral oil.

The mineral oil from the drug store (laxative isle) is just fine, but it is a bit thicker than the product sold specifically for counters, etc. Just be sure not to over apply it...more "coats" over a period of time are much better than one thick application.

Pete Lamberty
11-23-2003, 7:48 PM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate your help. Pete