PDA

View Full Version : Inset Drawer Help

Mike Goetzke
01-20-2007, 9:40 AM
I just finished 3 inset drawers for a shop cabinet. It took a lot of time adjusting the slides to get the faces flush with the cabinet.

What's the trick? Do poeple "cheat" and and attach a stop somewhere?

Thanks,

Mike

Jim Becker
01-20-2007, 9:41 AM
A stop in the back of the carcass is not atypical... ;) ...at least for minor adjustments.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Do poeple "cheat" and and attach a stop somewhere?
That's not cheating. When you make a drawer with a face that overlays the frame that serves as the stop.

Pete Brown
01-20-2007, 11:24 AM
I don't know that I would use these for shop cabinets, but for my kitchen, I'm using Blum Tandem with Blumotion undermount slides. They run $40-$50 per pai,r otherwise they'd be a no-brainer for your shop. The slow-stop is nice for drawers full of things you don't want to bang around.

Like yours, my drawers are all inset. That slide allows you some lateral adjustment as well as something along the lines of 4mm in/out adjustment without unscrewing anything. The slide is self-stopping, self-closing. I haven't put any fronts on the drawers yet, so I can't say if that adjustment is sufficient, but I suspect it will be.

BTW, I contracted out all the drawer boxes to CCF Industries (http://www.ccfdrawers.com/products.html). So far so good. Building a zillion dovetailed drawers was just going to take too long. At about $40 on average for a solid maple, dovetailed, assembled, finished drawer box notched and bored for the tandem, you can't beat it.:) I ordered six drawer boxes for my pantry yesterday.

glenn bradley
01-20-2007, 1:11 PM
I used stops as there are no glides on mine (web frame). I adjusted the stops prior to attaching the back. This isn't cheating per-se. It's a common drawer construction method for pistons as far as I know.

Tom Peterson
01-20-2007, 9:31 PM
I used the Bum slides for my inset drawers. I just made a spacer for the gap between the face frame and the front of the slide. Fit perfect. I did use the adjustable slide sets which helpe with fine tuning the gap around the drawers. They are expensive, but appears to be worth it now.

Greg Ladd
01-21-2007, 8:49 AM
Mike,

I sent you a PM.

Greg Ladd