PDA

View Full Version : Steve Knight Planes - Jack or Smoother?

Joe Unni
01-20-2007, 9:36 AM
Hey all,

I'll be starting a project fairly soon - my first real commission. It will be a coffee/conference table that will have a padauk arrow-head shaped top that will be around 4' x 4'.

As I don't have access to a wide belt sander and I'm finding myself using more and more hand tools, I'd like to prepare this top as such. I'm also quite intriqued by wooden planes and frankly don't have the time to go used or the dough to buy LN/LV.

That said, Steve's planes seem to fit the bill - high quality results at a reasonable price. And I like the thought of purchasing from a small business person.

I have funds to buy one plane and my question is which - jack or smoother - in this case. The padauk will be machine prepared and glued up accordingly. For additional support on the top I have a LV cabinet scraper and various card scrapers.

Any insight would be most helpful.

Thanks,
-joe
I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again on this project as the legs will be really chunky coopered legs - both sides showing ;)

Mark Singer
01-20-2007, 9:44 AM
Joe,
I have both the smoother and a razee jack from Steve. I would get the smoother with the lever cap and the set screws. I think that is how he is making them now. My smoother is a "tap to adjust" baby ...this is fine too if you practice a bit....the lever cap will lock it in. If you set it on a level block and allow the iron to set down...then tighten the screw. You are close to properly adjusted...I then flip it and set it visually...then retighten...cut a narrow piece of wood at each edge and compare the shavng...if they are not equal re adjust....I am giving you all the secrets:rolleyes:

Joe Unni
01-23-2007, 8:18 AM
Joe,
...I would get the smoother with the lever cap and the set screws. I think that is how he is making them now...

Mark,

I ordered up the smoother (lever cap at 50 degrees) yesterday afternoon. Definately looking forward to trying it out. I'm gearing up for that paduak project - I may be in touch as I know you've a fair amount of experience with it.

Thanks for the insight.

-joe

Terry Beadle
02-02-2007, 1:06 AM
I bought a Razee Jack but had him make it 17 inches. Cocobolo with the ipe sole and a rock maple D handle. It is supurb. It will take 1 thou shavings like a smoother or with a very light tap go to 5 thou. It has the brass cap screw. I see you've ordered the smoother and I'll bet it turns out great. I like the longer soled planes as it keeps me out of trouble as I some times get carried away and cause a dip with a shorter soled plane. Steve makes a great plane and I don't think it can be said enough. I went to his shop in Portland with my brother Steve and have some pictures but I haven't figured out how to post them yet. I see the paper clip above...we'll see if this works. Nope..can't get the size right. I'll work on it.

Terry Beadle
02-02-2007, 1:35 AM
Ok... I think I've figured out how to shrink it down... The extra length adds a bit of heft and the adjustable mouth make it very versitile. Steve's smoother's have these same features and will work well in padauk. I've used mine on some very curly cherry and it's smooth as a baby's bun. Be sure to post a gloat when you get yours and the table too!