PDA

View Full Version : Grex P635 23 Gauge Headless Pin Nailer

Steven DeMars
01-20-2007, 9:33 AM
O.K. Guys I'm the guinea pig. I just received my GREX Grex P635 23 Gauge Headless Pin Nailer (3/8" to 1-3/8"). Have not tried it yet. The purpose of the purchase is to build small tool boxes like my Gerstner. I'll probably start with good plywood until my skills improve and my design is satifactory.

The reason for the post . . . since joining SMC I have learned so much about woodworking and tools involved I thought I would try to share some info.

So if anyone is thinking about a pin nailer and wonder what the GREX will do, let me know and I will test as requested. Test ideas suggested will be appreciated. Meantime I'm off to play with my new toy.

Steve . . .

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- G.B. Shaw

Jim Becker
01-20-2007, 9:37 AM
Steve, congrats on the new Grex pinner...and do post your impressions and pictures of the unit in action!

Steven DeMars
01-21-2007, 1:37 AM
Works really well. Feels really good in your hand. Solid, nothing flimsy . . . So quiet I thought it was not working. Used to the large thump from my Senco 41 and my PC brad nailer. With minimum pressure it buries 1" pins in poplar & oak . . . Still have to try different length pins and different types of wood.

Larry Rasmussen
01-21-2007, 9:07 AM
Can say that it works quite well. Since I am new to air guns I can only compare it to a 21 gauge I ordered from Woodworker's supply last summer. It was presented as part of a promotional deal with a compressor and would not sink the pin even in soft woods, went right back.

The Grex I have found does sink pins to a reasonable depth. I have put 2" edging around a shop workbench applying 1/2" oak, cherry, peruvian walnut and clear fir around the 4 edges, nailing into russian birch. I was using some scraps I had on hand and experimenting. I also pinned on 1/4" plywood backing to an oak spice rack.

The shorter pins again sank just right but I think I still had 7/8" or so pins in the gun for the spice rack. Way too long. I noticed on the bench using 1 3/8" pins and on the spice rack that overlength pins want to go wild and readily bend up and out of the wood. I spent some time pulling them all the way out from the front. This is probably just an experience problem because I used fasteners too long for the job at hand.

I have had it out 5 or 6 times for small jobs without a misfire. Pins are superquick and easy to change out to a different size. It works quite well with a little Senco compressor I picked up for $69 or $79. I do run it at just over a hundred # and it cyles on periodically for a short time if I am nailing intermittently. Overall the combo is very quiet and convenient. I have a whole house of door casings and baseboard to do and I anticipate it being just right for that. I am going to use it later today to trim out the area around these Oak racks too and I am really glad to have it on hand.

Hope that helps anyone interested in one.

Larry R