PDA

View Full Version : More Pens

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-23-2003, 12:28 PM
I have been turning a few Pens this weekend. (Surprised, ain't ya?) :D
After taking a little drive to check out a new Exotic Wood source I ran across, and checking out his wares, I came home with a nice assortment of things that will be great for Pens, and perhaps other small things as well. All the pens I have pictured here are from wood that I bought Saturday. Really nice Cocobola, Redheart, Osage Orange, and a few other things that I have not identified as of yet. This gentleman had a very nice assortment of Burl, and things like Ebony and other Exotics and Domestics that you just don't run across everyday. You have never seen so much stuff crammed into a 2 car garage in your life! :eek: As I dug around looking and drooling over some of his stock, he just kept handing me small sections of whatever he ran across, and kept saying "here, take this with you too". So, I came home with all sorts of neat wood.............definitely worth a 1/2 hour drive on a Saturday morning. Thanks for taking a look at the Pens..........some of this wood is just breathtaking, and the pictures do not do it justice. Are we having FUN yet, or what? :D

Scott Greaves
11-23-2003, 1:54 PM
Kevin!

Isn't fancy wood fun! Those are great looking pens! That Americana second from the left is amazing! And I really like the shape that is developing in both the Americana's and the Slimlines!

Pens are a small canvas for our kind of art. Because of that it helps to pack as much interest into that space as possible, as with burls, spalts and other interesting things. Unfortunately, the really interesting wood is often quite unstable. There are ways around that, such as stabilizing. If you're interested in that, visit arizonasilhouette.com

Great pens!

Scott.

Don Farr
11-23-2003, 3:20 PM
Really, really nice Kevin. I wish you wouldn't inspire me anymore until I get this bowl thing down. :D
I was trying to show my grand daugther what a great bowl turner I am yesterday (yea right) when it came off the lathe hit the floor and busted.
Of course she had to tell everybody at church about it today. That's OK I am becoming more and more comfortable with it.
Check for a PM.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
11-23-2003, 3:25 PM
Hi kevin,

Some very fine work here, It's great to see your work, I enjoyed them...

Take care,
Jim :)

Noah Alkinburgh
11-24-2003, 8:36 AM
UHG! Just when I think I am catching up you go and find a local source for fancy pants wood! Those pens are looking great Kevin. Thanks for raising the bar once again. Truly an inpiration.

Noah

Ken Salisbury
11-24-2003, 8:59 AM
I have been turning a few Pens this weekend. (Surprised, ain't ya?) :D

DARN !! I THINK I CREATED ANOTHER MONSTER
Great find on the exotics --