PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Attachment for Epilog Mini

Dennis Kotlowski
01-20-2007, 5:42 AM
Does anyone have a rotary attachment for an Epilog Mini for sale. Looking to add one. Thanks for the help.

Dennis
JD Laser Gifts

Tracey Bakewell
01-20-2007, 12:04 PM
And while everyone's reading this thread for the Epilog, I need one too for my ULS V Class System???

Bruce Boone
01-20-2007, 1:24 PM
I have one for an X Class ULS. I don't know if they work the same, but there's a serial port on the inside right side of the laser that the rotary axis plugs into. You just have the laser off when it's plugged in, and when it's turned on, it knows it's in rotary mode. (You want to have the rotary axis sitting below the normal fixtured position when you first turn on the laser, because when you do a Z axis focus move, it will move to the center axis of the rotary axis, so would whack into it if it were in proper position before you lower the table down.) When plotting to it, you pick a diameter and it calculates the circumference. It's a bit strange in that it's not always a perfect multiple of pi, so I usually work backwards and see what circumference it will pick given a diameter and do my graphics in CAD to line up with that. I can do that by starting a plot routine and breaking out of it. There is also a fine scale factor that needs to be dialed in so that graphics going all the way around line up exactly without overlapping. I have mine set to .984 or so. For the stuff I do, it's usually important to get as seamless a wrap on the graphics as possible. Once that number is dialed in, it stays in the plot routine, so you don't have to do that every time.

Graphics are drawn sideways as if they were unwound. I engrave on wedding rings, so my plot area is around 1/4" wide by about 3" long. Whatever the length of the box is will be exactly 360 degrees. I plot from within AutoCad, so I set up my plot area with arcs so that I can snap to the centers of those in a window box without plotting the arcs themselves. I made a special fixture to hold the rings and always locate off of the right side wall. Because my focus has to be fairly low on some rings, I had to machine down the existing aluminum bottle holding fixture a bit to get closer clearance to the part.

The rotary axis simply sits in some U shaped brackets on the table. It is very easy to set in or take out. The plot routine has a place to check when using the rotary axis or unchecked for XY plotting.

Bruce Boone
01-20-2007, 1:55 PM
www.usedlasers.com (http://www.usedlasers.com) sometimes has rotary attachments for various lasers. They would be a good place to check with.

Uma Duffy
01-22-2007, 4:16 PM
Dennis-

If you are flooded with offers for rotary attachments let me know...my epilog needs one, too! They sure are pricey.

Mike Mackenzie
01-22-2007, 7:37 PM
The rotary for the X is the same as the V, and the M systems

Howard Garner
01-23-2007, 8:39 AM
Any one have one for a VersaLaser VL300??