PDA

View Full Version : delivery man tumps new unisaw

Gil Liu
01-20-2007, 1:04 AM
Hi All,

Today I received one of the clearance Unisaw's from Amazon and asked the delivery guy if he could help me bring the box to my basement storm doors. He was really amicable and said, "Sure." I ran down to the basement to grab some plywood because we were going to be crossing about 20ft of grassy yard. As I'm coming out of the storm doors I see the saw falling over off his dolly. The saw landed on its back side.

We ended up lifting it back up on the dolly and getting it to the door without any further mishaps. On my initial inspection all looks fine. I took the top off to ease the trip down -- I had two neighbors help me carry it down and it was a cinch. I wish greatly that I had simply had the delivery guy set the saw down off the lift gate and waited til my neighbors got off work. Grrr.

I haven't run the saw yet -- had inlaws come this evening for an overnight visit. Aside from looking for obvious damage, and doing some test cuts, any other advice on assessing if the tumble did any significant damage?

Thanks for your help,
Gil

p.s. the delivery guy was so apologetic, I ended up giving him $10 that I had put in my pocket if he agreed to bring the saw all the way to the basement entrance -- so I ended up literally tipping for a tip

Jamie Buxton
01-20-2007, 1:22 AM
In all likelyhood there's no damage. Those things are built like tanks.

You might check that the table is aligned with the saw blade. That might could have be knocked out of whack. But tweaking it back isn't difficult.

Dave Lehnert
01-20-2007, 1:32 AM
I work in a retail environment and unload truck all day long. What happened to your saw at your home was most likely not the worst tumble it has taken in its journey. I can’t tell you how often we have to unload a shipment that is not ours to get our product farther back in the truck. I once had to unload an air boat going down south. People who are not use to truck shipments thinks a box is shipped from the place of purchase direct to your home. That box was most likely off loaded at ½ dozen places before it got to you.
From my experience sounds like you will be OK. The boxes are made to take such a fall.

James Suzda
01-20-2007, 6:29 AM
Hi,
I agree with Dave when he says that the truck ride to your house was a lot more rough on your saw then the tumble in the grass.
If you ever want to see organized chaos you should visit a LTL carrier's cross dock early in the morning when they are jocking the freight from one truck to another.
Plus your saw probably rode along with some freight that was bouncing on top of and along side your saw that was pretty unkind to your pride and joy! Even bouncing in the back of the truck was probably harder on the saw than the ride in the grass.
I don't think you have any worries.
Jim

Bill Simmeth
01-20-2007, 7:05 AM
I agree with the previous posters that based on what you describe happened the saw should be fine. If you still have the top off, however, I would take some time to inspect the trunnions carefully to ensure there are no cracks on those castings. I would also look at the teeth on the tilt bracket to make sure there's no damage there. These are the two areas most critical to the saw's health and most susceptible to damage from abuse. If no damage is evident in these areas, you should be good to go.

Enjoy your new saw!