PDA

View Full Version : Ten Hours setup, five minutes use

Gary DeWitt
01-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Well, I've been doing some repair work around the 'hood for side money, and decided I wanted a new awl, so I ordered a kit. It's based on pen turning, with a tube that runs down the middle of the blank that becomes a permanent part of the handle. The steel part runs through the tube.
This means I needed at some point to square up the blank to the tube. The way I would have done this in the past is using a little storbought jig made for pens and my 12" disc sander, but I had sold it off to make room and $ for the new General. So I had to build a new disc sander for the lathe. Means I had to contact a friend from our club and get some of his homemade faceplates, he welds them up from large nuts and washers. I wasn't about to dedicate a $40 faceplate to a sanding disc. Then I had to drill and tap the faceplate for 14x20 screws. Then cut an MDF blank, screw it to the fp and true it up on the edge and face. Then down to the tool store for the sanding discs (knew I should have kept the ones from the old sander, darn!). Then modify a jig I had built for fluting to accept my miter bar. To hold it to the new lathe, I had to make some new blocks to fit. Then modify the pen jig for a bigger blank, as the awl blank is about 2x2x3. All in all, over ten hours work, but it did the job! Ever have a week like this, where one thing leads to another and just eats up all your turning time?
For anyone looking for an easy method of squaring up pen blanks, this works really well, and is easy to set up on a dedicated disc sander that has a miter slot...

Bruce Page
01-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Gary, ALL my projects go like that!
Neat jig.

Bob Hallowell
01-20-2007, 8:28 AM
Wow Gary when you do things you do them right!

Bob

Pete Jordan
01-20-2007, 9:02 AM
Great job Gary,

I do have an extra face plate and pottery bats made from mdf so I am going to give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration!

Curt Fuller
01-20-2007, 10:14 AM
That's a heck of a setup. Now lets see the awl.

Gary DeWitt
01-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks.

Pete - What's a pottery bat? Small flying mammal that lives in crockery?? Never heard of a pottery bat.

That platform doesn't have to be that complex, I had built it for fluting, so it needed to be adjustable in height to allow for any diameter spindle I wanted to route. As long as it aproximates the height of your spindle centerline, and the top and bottom are parallel, it'll work great. If your miter bar slot is a bit off parallel with the sanding disc, you can just adjust the miter bar when you use it. This setup can be used, with the proper angle stops, to fine tune segments as well.

If all goes well today, that is, I don't discover 27 other things I must do immediately, I'll finish the awl and post it.:)

Bob Opsitos
01-20-2007, 11:03 AM
I think I may need to make one of these. Looks like a good alternative to a $170 disc sander for truing up half rings for segmented turnings.

I may even be able to have someone make an Al plate to mount/unmount to an existing faceplate.

thanks for showing it.
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
01-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Nice job Gary. I like the idea.

Pete Jordan
01-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks.

Pete - What's a pottery bat? Small flying mammal that lives in crockery?? Never heard of a pottery bat.

That platform doesn't have to be that complex, I had built it for fluting, so it needed to be adjustable in height to allow for any diameter spindle I wanted to route. As long as it aproximates the height of your spindle centerline, and the top and bottom are parallel, it'll work great. If your miter bar slot is a bit off parallel with the sanding disc, you can just adjust the miter bar when you use it. This setup can be used, with the proper angle stops, to fine tune segments as well.

If all goes well today, that is, I don't discover 27 other things I must do immediately, I'll finish the awl and post it.:)

Good one Gary!
I do tend to keep my collar up when using these: http://www.baileypottery.com/potterywheels/throwingbats.htm

I haven't made a circle jig for my band saw yet so these work fine.

John Hart
01-20-2007, 1:54 PM
Nice goin' Gary! This is the different between the patient (You) and the non-patient (Me). Great idea and execution. Looking forward to the Awl.:)