PDA

View Full Version : Jointer/Planer Hone-Do you use one?

Jake Helmboldt
01-19-2007, 5:51 PM
Do you use one of these hones?
http://www.woodcraft.com/images/Family/web215.jpg

If so, any tips, words of wisdom, etc? Do you have to reset the knives every time you hone, or is it fine enough that you can get several sharpenings before resetting?

thanks, Jake

Jim Becker
01-19-2007, 8:31 PM
When I had my Jet 6" jointer, I used one a few times for touch ups. Honing really doesn't materially affect the adjustment of the knives since you're really not removing material noticeably. It's merely a way to stretch the time between sharpenings a little bit. (Same technique applies to things like router cutters)

In fact, if you are thinking about buying one of those little guys, drop me a PM and I'll send you the one I found lying about the other day while doing some deep shop cleaning for the cost of postage + 50 cents to cover the PayPal fees. Hardly used an easy-to-find bright orange, too...

glenn bradley
01-19-2007, 9:02 PM
I have the one pictured. It is nice for quick touch-ups but that is about it. It won't replace sharpening or swapping.

J.R. Rutter
01-19-2007, 11:22 PM
I never had much luck with them - maybe my hand isn't steady enough. Also, when honing, having scratches running along the edge (rather than perpendicular) weakens the newly sharp edge.

As previously mentioned, it may let you get through a project, but doesn't replace sharpening.