PDA

View Full Version : Need help on lathe chuck

Don Farr
11-23-2003, 10:16 AM
I am very limited with the lathe tools that I have. I need a good universal chuck to hold small bowls, both inside and out. Just looking in Penn State and they run from about $40.00 to $200.00. What should I be looking for in the way of features?
Remember, I'm a fairly new turner.

Ace Karner
11-23-2003, 10:26 AM
Don, I'm new to turning also so you'll have to take that into your evaluation of what I have to say.

I recently purchased the "PSI Mini-Grip 2" chuck system from Penn State Ind. I'm a mech Eng technologist by education, and I feel that the fit and finish on this chuck, as well as it's operation is really quite nice for the price. I've never used another chuck, so I can't five you any comparisons just my feelings.

Good luck on your search and happy turning.

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-23-2003, 10:33 AM
Don, I have the Talon Scroll Chuck by Oneway, and I really like it. It is small enough to use on my Mini Lathe, but also big enough to use on my larger lathe. It uses a single chuck key to tighten/loosen the chuck, and it holds very well. It is great for gripping the outside of a Tenon, and also holds very well on a recess, or what I call "expansion chucking". You can add the Cole Jaws to it for reverse chucking bowls and such for finishing the bottoms. It is not the cheapest chuck, but it is built extremely well, and I wouldn't know what to do without it. Some of the best money I have spent on Lathe Accessories so far. This Chuck came highly recommended by several of our members as well. I have turned bowls up to nearly 12" with the Talon, and not a single problem. I would check it out, I think you will be very satisifed with the Talon. The other chuck that comes highly recommended, which is larger than the Talon, is the Stronghold.............and that is next on my wish list. (Maybe Santa is listening!?!) :D IMO, a quality chuck is important, and not a good place to "scrimp" when looking to purchase one. ;)

Jim Becker
11-23-2003, 11:14 AM
I'm with Kevin on this one...buy a quality chuck, preferably one with a replaceable threaded insert so it can follow you from lathe to lathe over the years. Avoid chucks with "tommy bars" unless you a blessed with three hands! Yes, the investment is a little more up front, but in the end you'll get a lot more value out of a versatile chuck, such as the OneWay Talon, small Vicmarc or similar.

I personally own and use the Talon and have several jaw sets. No matter what the size of the turning I need to support, I can handle it with this chuck.

Anthony Yakonick
11-23-2003, 3:18 PM
Talon, final answer!

Bud Duffy
11-23-2003, 6:10 PM
Don i have a horbour freight peice of crap lathe i bought from a guy for $75 and then went out and bought a Supernova chock and that is one good chuck in my opinon what little iknow of them.

Don Farr
11-24-2003, 8:52 AM
Thanks for the help guys, How did I know Jim and Kevin would go for the most expensive? You can tell who's got the big bucks. :D
Well the LOML is going to kill me, buying this right at Christmas, but I guess the Oneway Talon it is. She has already banned me from HD. I didn't think 8 charges to HD in one month was that bad.
It's just one of those got to have things. If I dissappear from the forum you will know what happened to me. :(

Tom Sweeney
11-24-2003, 10:20 AM
I recently bought the talon at the Woodworks show. I bought the talon cause Bill Grumbine, along with Anthony & Jim, recommended it - & that's good enough for me. Money is actually pretty tight around here & it seems wierd to have a $190 chuck on $30 lathe - but that's what I did. As Jim said with the replaceable threaded insert I can easily move the chuck over when I eventually upgrade my lathe. LOML actually suggested getting it - if there was a good show special on it - cause she knows how much I love turning & how much of a stress relief it is. If you are making due with substandard equipment there are frustrations involved that don't need to be there. Get the chuck put it on & make sawdust - you won't regret it. BTW - make your wife something nice & tell her how much easier it was & how much nicer it turned out with the new chuck :D

John Miliunas
11-24-2003, 10:59 AM
Probably late for your decision, but FWIW, I have the Nova Super Chuck and couldn't be happier. I started out with the Nova Compact and it's OK, but IMHO, a world apart when you step up to the likes of the Super Chuck! I'm sure the Vic or Talon are right on par. Don't skimp on it now...You'll be happier later. :cool:

Jim Becker
11-24-2003, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the help guys, How did I know Jim and Kevin would go for the most expensive? You can tell who's got the big bucks. (

You're welcome! :D

But seriously, "The most expensive tool is the one you need to replace early and often. Invest in good tools, even if you have to wait an extra month...or three...to get the right one for your needs."

Julie Wright
11-24-2003, 11:05 AM
I asked Santa for a Oneway Talon chuck and the wolverine sharping system for Christmas. Can't wait. Never stop being a Kid! :D

I am very limited with the lathe tools that I have. I need a good universal chuck to hold small bowls, both inside and out. Just looking in Penn State and they run from about $40.00 to $200.00. What should I be looking for in the way of features?
Remember, I'm a fairly new turner.

Don Farr
11-24-2003, 1:02 PM
I asked Santa for a Oneway Talon chuck and the wolverine sharping system for Christmas. Can't wait. Never stop being a Kid! :D

Julie, I thought about asking Santa (my wife) but she refuses to buy tools for me. She says I'm to hard to please and if she gets the wrong thing I won't tell her.
At one time we had a very good arrangement that I liked, We would both make a list of about six items we wanted with catalog numbers, sizes and everything. Then we would swap list and shop from that.
I don't know why we got away from that. Maybe I should suggest that we return to that this year since she is already hinting about a diamond necklace.

Don Farr
11-25-2003, 6:11 PM
Ok, I will suffer the consequences, I ordered the Oneway Talon chuck today. When it gets here I will post a big gloat, that is if I am still alive. :D

Dan Stuewe
11-25-2003, 7:32 PM
Get the chuck put it on & make sawdust - you won't regret it.

Tom, I'm worried. SAWdust on a lathe? I don't recall any of Bill's on-line tutorials going into using my table saw on the lathe.

;)