PDA

View Full Version : This time it wasn't JUST the Indian...

Lisa Gilbert
01-19-2007, 4:30 PM
But if she had any idea what she was doing, she would have known the lathe wasn't working correctly. My wonderful husband gave me a Jet 1442 for Christmas, and I was thrilled, but I was having a terrible time actually shaping any wood. Eventually, I began to suspect it wasn't just me, and called our local Woodcraft where we got the lathe, and described my problem, and the man I talked to immediately told me that wasn't right and they replaced the head stock for us. Today I fired it up, and now wood turning is as much fun as I remember it being when I took the pen class at Woodcraft! I posted on a previous thread how I couldn't do anything with the gouge and only the skew would behave for me. Now the gouge is behaving itself, although the skew is still more cooperative. I'm starting to think that I actually can do this stuff.

I know Jet is known for their quality, and I've never heard a complaint about this particular model, but I think this one just snuck past quality control. The speed would never change correctly, if at all (now that I know you can hear a definite difference in the motor), and the 2nd time I used it, it threw a set screw and the fan came off and rattled around in the housing like a frantic monkey in a cage. :eek: (That will get your attention!) Anyhow, Woodcraft came through and made us so glad we bought locally. And I'm finally having fun! Now, if I could just get these kids to cook, clean, do laundry and teach themselves Algebra, I could spend a little more time in the shop....

Mark Pruitt
01-19-2007, 4:40 PM
Lisa.....

If you're finding a skew easier to use than a gouge, there is definitely something wrong with you.
Disregard #1. Tongue in cheek!:D (The longer you hang around here the more you'll hear people being unhappy with a skew chisel.)
I guess quality control does take naps from time to time. I had a Rikon a few months ago that was a lemon. Woodcraft went the extra mile helping me with that problem, just as your WC did.Glad you got the problem solved!

Steve Schlumpf
01-19-2007, 4:55 PM
Wow, surprised to hear you had problems with your Jet but very happy that you got it taken care of already! You never know what shakes loose during shipping or operation and is always worth the time to periodically check things over and make sure everything's tight and operates the way it should.

Looking forward to photos of your turnings!

Bill Boehme
01-19-2007, 4:55 PM
I have found that using the skew chisel can be a very satisfying and relaxing pastime -- it just depends on how you use it.

Bill

Lisa Gilbert
01-19-2007, 5:11 PM
...always worth the time to periodically check things over and make sure everything's tight and operates the way it should.

Bummer that my degree is in software engineering, not mechanical, and when I take things apart to check them, I always have parts left over after I put them back together.... I'm probably better off periodically laying hands on it and praying. Fortunately, when I have a problem, my brilliant husband, who is a real engineer, can generally figure it out.

Paul Engle
01-19-2007, 5:12 PM
Lisa !!!
Cook , clean, do laundry????? what planet are you from, my wife and I raised 4 girls and a boy and .... and .... and cook clean laundry algebra ha! , I know bolt one to yur new lathe and givem aspin :eek: , ( not really , mine are great adults now) they just tend to live in the world we grew up in and thru the trials of life we forgot what that is like :confused: ( not sure if that is good or bad tho :rolleyes: ). Teach em to turn ... ;) , then take away turning time till chores are done. Good Luck :D

Jonathon Spafford
01-19-2007, 5:28 PM
Teach em to turn ... ;) , then take away turning time till chores are done. Good Luck :D

Hey, that is child abuse ... :D :D :D

Anyway, I always had an easier time with my skew until someone ground the wings back on my spindle gouge into a finger nail grind. No more catches. I still prefer the skew, but that may be your problem, Lisa. The factory grind isn't the best for the little spindle gouges.

Lisa Gilbert
01-19-2007, 6:02 PM
The 14-year-old boy prefers the skew, too. He just went out and made a captive ring on a stick. (We home school -- that was shop class. Work with me, here.) I'm sure it's good for something -- impressing his friends, at least. And bonking his little sisters. I don't know, the skew just seems to do exactly what I want, much better than the gouge. He thinks so, too, but we're going to print out Bill's cartoon and post it by the lathe. :p

Bill Wyko
01-19-2007, 6:13 PM
Ok guys here's yet another one of my newbie stupid questions.....whats a skew?:confused: I have what I thought was a small gouge but it does'nt have a flat underside, it looks like the profile of 1/2 of a bullet. Is that a skew? (I hate being a novice:mad: )

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2007, 6:17 PM
Bill....Here's a skew

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2007, 6:19 PM
Lisa.........As I stated before...the skew is one of....if not my favorite tool! I had problems with it initially but once I got the correct angle ground on it....I reach for it more than any other one tool. I rough with it...scrape with it and slice and peel with it. A lot of my bottle stoppers are done solely with the skew.....all my pens are done with just a skew.....My skew is a standard rectangular one that I've ground the sharp corners off ....I've only had the opportunity to use an oval skew once and had a bit of time using it. Once I got the right bevel on mine and could grind that bevel angle repeatedly....It really is my tool of choice!

Bill Wyko
01-19-2007, 6:26 PM
Thanks Ken. I feel foolish asking questions so simple but If I don't ask how will I know.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2007, 6:29 PM
Bill.....a year ago I didn't know a skew existed.....don't feel foolish...I'd never seen a wood lathe......wasn't until the 29th of Dec. 2006 I ever saw anybody but myself turn live....I visited Frank Kobilsek near Mendota IL while I was visiting my MIL...........We've all got to learn......I hope to learn something new until the day I die!

Andy Hoyt
01-19-2007, 7:14 PM
I have found that using the skew chisel can be a very satisfying and relaxing pastime -- it just depends on how you use it.

Bill Umm Bill, it would appear that your aim was a bit off. (http://www.mainewoodturners.org/assets/images/01_andy_hoyt_foto.jpg)

Bill Boehme
01-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Umm Bill, it would appear that your aim was a bit off. (http://www.mainewoodturners.org/assets/images/01_andy_hoyt_foto.jpg)

Dang, Alan, I thought that I said "duck". Does it hurt? I hope that this little "incident" does not cause you to think that the skew is a dangerous and unsafe tool.

Maybe I could try out as a pitcher for the Texas Rangers -- they need some help on the mound.

Bill

Ernie Nyvall
01-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Congrats on the lathe and getting the problem worked out Lisa.

Bill Grumbine
01-20-2007, 8:08 AM

Bill

You know Bill, I became quite proficient at flicking my wrist just right to get the skew to stick in the shop door next to the lathe when thrown. Fortunately for me, I learned a few others with it eventually. :D

Bill