PDA

View Full Version : Sign Scrolling

Brad Hammond
01-19-2007, 3:48 PM
well, i got that dremel scroll saw a couple of weeks ago and the very next off day i thought i'd see how i liked scrolling. i've got an exterior sign for the shop, but i wanted on for the garage entrance.
i used a technique i'd seen on the american woodshop. finding a font you like, blowin it up a million times and pasting the lettering to some scraps. i used some mahagony scraps for this one. painted the tops of the letters to add some depth. the back ground is a piece of luan with some intersting grain, and the frame is rough sawn mahagony. measures 28"x 17"
i free handed the placement of the lettering. my butt is still puckered! oh... then i wiped it down with a couple of coats of tung oil, and sprayed some satin poly on it.
the scroll saw did pretty well considering i was using some old blades. i got some flying dutchman blades this week and i'm ready to try again.
the next one will be for inside the shop. i need to decide between...... " The attitude is free" or " Squirrels.... natures little speed bumps"

hmmm

cyall!

Corey Hallagan
01-19-2007, 8:45 PM
Those letters are cut out and pasted to the luan? Nice work, they look like they are cut out on the luan with a background painted dark. Looks like the Scroll saw agrees with you!

Corey

Brad Hammond
01-20-2007, 12:16 AM
thanx! yeah the letters are proud of the luan backbround. pic doesn't show that well.

cya'll

John Schreiber
01-20-2007, 12:27 AM
Nice work. To make the placing of the letters easier, you can use any number of different graphics software packages to layout your letters.