PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Lapacho

Hilel Salomon
01-19-2007, 3:42 PM
Don't know if any of you has had problems with this, but after turning lots of different kinds of wood, I came across one that really left my throat aching and ears throbbing with pain. It's called Lapacho and is apparently a form of Brazilian Ipe. It's pretty but it dulls tools faster than anything I've ever used and, despite wearing my airshield, really led to allergic reactions. I never did get the bottom sanded and am deliberating whether or not to do so. I've worked with Bolivian Rosewood, Mara and other exotics but this is a first for me.

Justin James
01-20-2007, 12:20 AM
If you wax the wood with beeswax (just hold a bar of wax to the wood while its moving), then sand, the dust will be greatly reduced. This may not be compatible with the finish you have planned, but it can be a useful trick at times.

Hilel Salomon
01-20-2007, 9:04 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll certainly try it. My entire shop is encrusted with dust from sanding at the lathe.

Jim King
01-20-2007, 9:05 AM
If it is the sane wood we call Lapacho here in the Peruvian Amazon the locals call it choke, spit and cough wood. It is used for construction as termites wont eat it and for boat building as it is light weight and takes a long time to rot. It is also called Tornillo.

Mark Singer
01-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Shlamaca is another one:rolleyes:

Hilel Salomon
01-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Choke, spit and cough wood is about right. Tornillo though is interesting. Having been born in Bolivia, (Oruro) I think of lathe or screw when I use that word. Personally, I wouldn't recommend turning it on a lathe although part of the problem is that I'm such a lousy turner that I wind up sanding a great deal to cover up my mistakes. I will try beeswax though.

Justin James
01-21-2007, 4:03 AM
Something I should have mentioned (but I was half-asleep when I replied before). Ipe dust contains chemicals (can't recall if they are catechols or quinones) that are both allergens and sensitizers, i.e., subsequent exposure can result in a more severe reaction. Maybe you should re-think sanding the bottom of that bowl . . .