PDA

View Full Version : Help needed to repair a vintage miter box

Ken Werner
01-19-2007, 3:17 PM
I have this nice old miter box which has a broken piece, pointed to by the pencil. I'm wondering if anyone has a similar tool with other broken parts. I don't think I can fabricate and weld on a half cylinder.

Thanks,
Ken

harry strasil
01-20-2007, 10:17 AM
I don't really see any broken part, is the upright broken from the base?

harry strasil
01-20-2007, 10:24 AM
If it is, I would clean both parts well, remove any springs or other things that will be affected by heat and tin both surfaces with silver solder, then use an old saw thru both guides to keep it lined up and then sweat the two pieces together.

Ken Werner
01-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Hi Jr,
Thanks for the reply. If you look at the head-on image of the whole unit, there is a split cylindrical guide at the front which is missing the left half of the cylinder. This guides the post which goes up and down over the material being cut. Unfortunately, I don't have the missing piece. I am hoping someone out there has a similar miter box with something else broken willing to sell/give/trade the part I need.

Ken

Charles McKinley
01-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi Ken,

It is hard to tell there is a piece missing from the pics. I was going to suggest having it brazed as that was the repair that was made to mine probably 30 years before I got it as I knew the man who originally owned it. If you are close enough to one on the bay some times these go cheaply as the shipping is killer due to the size and weight.