PDA

View Full Version : Good tools from Harbor Freight???

Ken Werner
01-19-2007, 3:10 PM
I've been kicking this idea around for a bit.

As a frugal bargain hunter, I am often tempted by HF's low prices. Most of the time, I have been sorry I bought a tool there, because they are usually...well, you know.

Anyway, from time to time, HF actually has something good, at a fair price. I thought I'd share some of my "good values" and ask you all if you've found any.

So here we go-
a floor standing drill press has been fine:
drill press.jpg (http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55493&stc=1&d=1169237058)

a flush cut saw [for $5, a good value]
flush cut saw.jpg (http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55494&stc=1&d=1169237207)

a heat gun, on sale for $10, regularly:
heat gun.jpg (http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55495&stc=1&d=1169237318)

So those are my good finds. Lots of bad ones I won't mention.
What are yours?

Ken

Bill Arnold
01-19-2007, 3:16 PM
I've been very pleased with the G0513 bandsaw I bought 2.5 years ago. Best price/value combination at the time and has performed to expectations.

Jon Shively
01-19-2007, 3:17 PM
The tire changer = excellent buy, dismounted 4 old tires, mounted 4 new tires, more than paid for the tire changer that first time. Not used daily, but always ready when needed.

Chainsaw chain sharpener = excellent buy. Only used on my Stihl chains but I heat my home with an outside wood burner and cut a lot of firewood. Don't think it would hold up for a chain saw sharpening shop but again, first winter at 50 dollars for the sharpener and over ten dollars a chain to be sharpened up town, more than paid for itself the first winter I owned it.

Biscuit cutter - I have only used this twice, but worked good, again, I am a hobbyist so couldn't see the expenditure for a tool used so little.

Now don't ask about the tools I have purchased that haven't lived up to expectations, I can't type that well!!!!!

Jim Becker
01-19-2007, 3:21 PM
I've had two good experiences with them...the 34706 lathe which got me into the abys and the pickup truck bed extension setup for the receiver hitch. (the latter of which will soon be in the SMC classifieds as I don't have a pickup truck anymore...)

Losers were the 3/4" pipe clamp sets that require a hammer to readjust.

Their floor DPs generally get decent comments as does the so-called "2hp" DC, at least relative to the blower. The filtration is on par with a burlap bag and good filter bags are necessary to make use of it "properly". (I don't own, but a friend does...so I've had a close look)

Burt Alcantara
01-19-2007, 3:28 PM
Heat and glue guns - work fine and very cheap.
.5" corded drill which has enough torque to break a wrist.
SCMS for $99 - not too accurate but gets 8' lengths to manageable sizes. Assorted screw drivers, favorites are the extra long ones for general use.
Pony clamps.
Small bar clamps which are my favorites.
Plastic clamps which flex and don't have much holding power.
Returned bench grinder - weird arbor size, didn't take 1" wheels.
Returned bench stand as it was made for very small people.
Assorted measuring tools, the gem being an angle finder with magnets.
Socket wrench set. I curse this set all the time but keep using it.

I'm sure other stuff but that's all that comes to mind.

Burt

Dan Gill
01-19-2007, 3:46 PM
The 2 HP Dust collector is fine. I also have that same flush cut saw, and the 1/2" pipe clamps and some bar clamps. They all work well. I also have that receiver hitch bed extension and I've never used it. I guess I mostly buy wood in 8-foot or 10-foot lengths.

Jerry Bittner
01-19-2007, 3:48 PM
A heat gun for 9.95 -- outstanding -- hasn't broke yet.
A mini-router.

Since they have opened a store not too far from me, I go in once-in-awhile and stock up on many miscellaneous things.

Ernie Hobbs
01-19-2007, 3:55 PM
I bought a 4" x 36" bench mounted belt sander about 3 years ago. I use it every day for sharpening chisels and haven't have a bit of trouble with it. I also have the HSS lathe chisels that are OK.

I bought their 8' x 10' trailer bed that I use to haul wood- no complaints. I've made several trips of more than 8 hours and it pulls just fine down the interstate. I built a back on it that I can close and lock that seems to work well.

Travis Hirst
01-19-2007, 4:15 PM
I have the 2hp DC and like jim said the bag only does a fair job at containing fine dust. I did however get the overhead air filter system to take care of the fine stuff and in my opinion does a great job for me. I will eventually get the 1 micron filter canister to go with my dc which will greatly improve the collection.

Travis

Frederick Rowe
01-19-2007, 4:20 PM
I recently purchased the 2HP Dust Collector on sale for $169.99. I didn't even install the bag filter and went straight to a Wynn Environmental Cartridge filter. So far I'm very pleased. Well packed, all parts included, reasonably good quality. With the Wynn filter it performs quite well.

Having bought and assembled mine, I now look at the 2 HP Delta, Jet, General, et. al. . . and wonder. They seem to be nearly identical in design. Polish on some parts such as the motor seem better than my HF. Perhaps they are just cosmetic or minor mechanical seconds.

Regardless, my advise on HF is be skeptical, look for reviews, keep your receipts, and be prepared for the worst. I figure, whether I'm buying name brand or HF, it still rolls out of the same factory.

Travis Hirst
01-19-2007, 4:23 PM
Fred, where did you get the wynn filter and how much. If you don't mind me asking

Travis

Brad Hammond
01-19-2007, 4:29 PM
ya know........ i have yet to break any of their deep well sockets 1/2" or 3/8". i've put them through some pretty tough paces. i'm intersted in their pneumatic reversible drill. can catch em for $20 sometimes. it's tiny and has a pretty high rpm rating. might come in handy sanding bowls.

Don Stanley
01-19-2007, 4:37 PM
28 PC. TRANSFER PUNCH SET
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/03500-03599/03577.gif

6'' CROSS SLIDE VISE
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/32900-32999/32997.gif

The Pittsburgh bar clamps
Dial indicators
Calipers

and all kinds of the little stuff.

The only big item I have is the 2HP Dust Collector.

Last, but not least, the hold down clamp I used in my Router Table Sled. I can't find it on the HF web page.
http://members.ai5.net/~kc7cn@ai5.net/main/routersled/

-Don

Joe Marotta
01-19-2007, 4:49 PM
Fred,

I am thinking about getting the same 2hp Collector.

How do you have it wired? On its own 20amp circuit? My only hold back on buying it right now is that my shop is so woefully underwired right now, that it will probably sit in a box until I can scrape together the $1k it will probably cost to get enough juice running to it to run the DC as well as the other toys, er tools that I want to get (jointer, planer, etc.)

Jim Fox
01-19-2007, 4:59 PM
Isn't "Good Tools from Harbor Frieght" one of them oxymorons?

Kent Fitzgerald
01-19-2007, 5:56 PM
I 've gotten good use from all of the following:

34706 lathe
47066 HSS turning tool set
2485 1x30" belt sander
45338 hammer drill
1800 hex shank drill bit set
42321 twin tank compressor
32940 air hammer (6 bucks, paid for itself the one time I needed it)
40198 rubber strap wrench set
40507 cable cutter
47257 6" digital calipers
31255 3/4" pipe clamps (the ones with the clutch disks, not pawls)
37846-37850 C-clamps
40187 floor mats
37051 nitrile gloves
41005 trailer jack

Bruce Page
01-19-2007, 6:03 PM
I have a short HF list, I buy their 100 pack of nitrile gloves for around $11

Dewayne Reding
01-19-2007, 6:28 PM
Pittsburgh 1/2" pipe clamps. Built a 200'+ long 4x6 timber retaining wall with a pair of them.

Small air tools like cutoff tool.

Simple electric like a bench grinder. If it's got many moving parts I stay away from HF.

Soldering gun (the orange one for 7 bucks). Did an entire electrical system on my streetrod. Way better than my Weller brand guns.

Steve Clardy
01-19-2007, 6:45 PM
4.5" side grinder [2]

3" spring clamps

Some of the better built pipe clamps

skip coyne
01-19-2007, 6:55 PM
just stopped on my way home with a fistfull of email coupons , its like a treasure hunt looking for the on sale item (youhave to be sure to check the part number to get the good prices )

air compressor 85 on sale
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/90300-90399/90385.gif

pry bar , I love these things I just bought two more @ 1.99 on sale great for trim , works just as good as my 15.00 shark bar

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos//43600-43699/43651-t.gif

angle grinder

10 bucks cant beat it

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/03100-03199/03150.gif

Lou Morrissette
01-19-2007, 7:13 PM
I bought the pickup bed extender that Jim mentioned on sale for $19.95. Can't beat it. $29.00 for a trim router. Put a 1/4R roundover bit in it 3 years ago and have been using it for breaking edges ever since. Small 1" stationary belt sander died after only 6 months of use.:mad:

Lou

Scot wolf
01-19-2007, 8:20 PM
I 've gotten good use from all of the following:

34706 lathe
47066 HSS turning tool set
2485 1x30" belt sander
45338 hammer drill
1800 hex shank drill bit set
42321 twin tank compressor
32940 air hammer (6 bucks, paid for itself the one time I needed it)
40198 rubber strap wrench set
40507 cable cutter
47257 6" digital calipers
31255 3/4" pipe clamps (the ones with the clutch disks, not pawls)
37846-37850 C-clamps
40187 floor mats
37051 nitrile gloves
41005 trailer jack

I picked up one of the 2485 1"x30 belt sanders for $ 29.00. It wouldn't hardly get up to speed in my garage. I'm thinking because it was cold out. I returned it for another because I thought it might have a weak start cap. The next one does the same thing. Shouldn't a tool work at less than 50 degrees?

Matt Meiser
01-19-2007, 8:24 PM
A few things I'm very happy with:
6" angle grinder
4x6 metal cutting bandsaw
numerous casters and wheels
twin hot dog tank compressor for in the garage
disposables like chip brushes, nitrile gloves, grinding wheels, wire brushes, etc.
auto-dark welding helmet
hand truck
right angle drill
swivel vise
various calipers, dial indicator

Bill Simmeth
01-19-2007, 8:29 PM
Isn't "Good Tools from Harbor Frieght" one of them oxymorons?
My sentiments exactly. I even managed to put a middle finger through the first nitrile glove of theirs I tried on. A metaphor perhaps? :rolleyes:

Mike Parzych
01-19-2007, 10:28 PM
My brother-in-law wanted a lathe because his grandson was interested in learning some woodworking skills. He got a cast iron bed, 10 speed (I think) 5 horse unit for $180 minus a 15% coupon - ended up around $150.

Now I don't know a thing about lathes, but how can you go wrong on a deal like that?

Tom Grice
01-19-2007, 10:35 PM
I have the 2hp DC. Bought it on sale, and then threw in a 20% off coupon. I also put the Wynn filter kit on it and upgraded to a 5" line going into the DC.

It's worked well so far - but I only use it on one tool at a time.

Corey Hallagan
01-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Drill chuck for the lathe... 9.99 worth every penny and have used it to bore many a turning!

Corey

Mike Jobe
01-20-2007, 12:00 AM
I have been hit and miss with HF. more hits than misses though, all in all they are not all that bad for the price...
Good finds, 2 horse electric motor, glass bead cabinet, c-clamps by the millions, misc air accessories and such
Bad finds, hand tools such as tin sips, needle nose, and some of the screwdrivers.
I cant get over the orange power tool color for some odd reason...

All in all, I typically walk in saying I will spend 10.00 and wind up with a 100.00 tab lol...
My humble opinion...

Mike Buelow
01-20-2007, 2:26 AM
Drill chuck for the lathe... 9.99 worth every penny and have used it to bore many a turning!

Corey

Bad:
18V Right angle drill $39. Not enough power for boring romex holes, but handy for screws and small holes in tight spaces.

Good:
Commodity hand tools
Glue brushes
Pittsburg bar clamps (generic ones I got off ebay were NOT as good as HF)
Wrenches
3" spring clamps
digital caliper
$3 ear muffs
straightedge clamp <-- Gold

If you see a sweet deal on the web, be sure to print it out before heading into the store!

glenn bradley
01-20-2007, 1:57 PM
I'll toss in a vote for the heat gun. $10, works fine.

Mike Heidrick
01-20-2007, 2:32 PM
I have the 2hp DC. Bought it on sale, and then threw in a 20% off coupon. I also put the Wynn filter kit on it and upgraded to a 5" line going into the DC.

It's worked well so far - but I only use it on one tool at a time.

Same here. 2HP dust collector and Wynn filter kit = awesome combo for my one tool at a time shop.

Also have had great luck with:
Dust collector hose and attachments for $40
Chainsaw Grinder for $25 after sale and coupon
Welding gloves
Silver and Demming $10 8-piece set! Awesome price and cut great.
F-Clamp right angle edge clamp add ons $3 - They work with my Bessey Tradesman clamps just fine.
Welding magnets.

Todd Hyman
01-20-2007, 3:24 PM
Fred, where did you get the wynn filter and how much. If you don't mind me asking

Travis

You can get them here. http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

JOHN E Tarro
01-20-2007, 5:26 PM
4 years ago bought the HVLP gun with 2 qt pot. Used it on a number of pieces with generally good results. Bought a new gun but continued to use the old pot and hoses. Worked great.

Today I went out and bought a replacement set-up of HVLP gun, hoses and pot ($49.00). The gaskets of the old gun went bad. Pushed a lot of lacquer through it tohugh with a lot of success. I have bought a number of things from them . . . no problems. But, I AM CAREFUL ABOUT WHAT I BUY!!!!!!!!

Art Davis
01-20-2007, 7:13 PM
I have the lathe and dc and both seem to be quite nice. Plus, I made a variable height outfeed table from one of their hydraulic lifts that seems to work very well.

Question: I have stopped receiving those twenty percent off coupons. Maximum now is an occasional fifteen percent one. Is anyone still getting twenty percent? Am I on the bad list, or is that a thing of the past?

Art

Kent Fitzgerald
01-20-2007, 8:14 PM
anyone still getting twenty percent? Am I on the bad list, or is that a thing of the past?

Art, they've been sending me your 20% coupons. :p

Seriously, 15% seems to be the max now.

Bruce Boone
01-20-2007, 8:23 PM
I got a couple dollys (dollies?) and more pliers than I can throw a stick at!

Frederick Rowe
01-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Travis- I bought the filter "kit" from Wynn Environmental. http://www.wynnenv.com/cartridge_filters.htm

The cost is $130 plus shipping. When I called to ask a few questions, I was transferred to Mr. Wynn himself. Very knowlegable and friendly. The Wynn Filter is slightly smaller than the stock HF filter, but because the wynn filter has a foam gasket, there is no air leakage. With the kit you receive three turnbuckles which attach the wynn filter to the DC body. You could probably buy these at a hardware store. Wynn also includes three heavy duty bags.

As you'll see, the wynn website has details on the installation. I can attest that while the HF may not develop the full 2HP, it works great with a trash can type separater.

Joe- I'm running my HF 2HP DC on a 110 outlet wired to a 15 amp breaker. No problems whatsoever.

Jeff Cybulski
01-21-2007, 12:22 PM
I have their $14.99 brad nailer and $20 saws-all. Both are fine for what I use thme for. The bearings on the saws-all are very noisy but for $20 it cut out 2 door frames during a re-model of my house.

Their pneumatic tools are ok for the DIY type. I have the 1/2" impact, drill and 90deg cut off. Be sure to keep them oiled.

Jeff

Curt Harms
01-21-2007, 3:11 PM
It's crude and I wouldn't trust it for critical applications but for once or twice a year use, it's worth the $24 I paid.

Rick Peek
01-21-2007, 11:43 PM
Bought 2 18 gauge braid nailers for 19 bucks each when I needed
to put up 3000 square ft of knotty pine t & g. They've been flawless.
Twin tank compressor,angle grinder & bar clamps. All have been
good.

Bob Rufener
01-22-2007, 12:16 AM
Sanding sponges are a great deal. Also bought 8 bar clamps for a really good price 3-$5.00 each. Need to check out which ones work the best as some of the screw mechanisms aren't great. Wouldn't buy their power tools. Look like junk to me.

Where can you buy a set of about 30 drill bits for about $8.00. Even if they break, I'm money ahead.