PDA

View Full Version : Queen Anne HighBoy

Don Brillhart
01-19-2007, 2:32 PM
Hello Woodworkers: After 40 years of working in industry and making furniture as a hobby(fueled by economic necessity), I retired and decided to make one last large piece of furniture. The result is a Queen Anne HighBoy, which is a composite of various designs I have collected over the years. It will some day reside in my daughter's home.
I will have visiting rights if I babysit!

Don Brillhart

Tyler Howell
01-19-2007, 2:38 PM
Don your years of talent and experience show. That is awesome.
Thank you for sharing:cool:

Michael Fross
01-19-2007, 3:02 PM
Wow Don. That is really impressive. I'm sure your daughter will be thrilled.

Thank you for taking the time to post this. It's very inspirational.

Michael

Lars Thomas
01-19-2007, 3:11 PM
Don, that's a nice piece of work. Congrats. Lars

Jim Becker
01-19-2007, 3:23 PM
Very nice execution, Don! And congrats on your retirement. Enjoy! (And do make some more big pieces... ;) )

Mike Henderson
01-19-2007, 4:28 PM
That's beautiful. What wood is that made of?

Congratulations on your retirement - enjoy yourself.

Mike

Don Brillhart
01-19-2007, 4:47 PM
"Unfortunalely" my wife is a Oak fan. It is solid red oak and weighs a ton. Thank God for two piece construction!
Don

Brad Hammond
01-19-2007, 5:08 PM
great great work!

John Timberlake
01-19-2007, 6:12 PM
Really nice piece. Give us more pictures of the construction details. Always love to see different ways to do the same thing.

lou sansone
01-19-2007, 6:15 PM
nice piece and as others have said, how about a few more photos
lou

Todd Solomon
01-19-2007, 6:28 PM
Hello Woodworkers: After 40 years of working in industry and making furniture as a hobby(fueled by economic necessity), I retired and decided to make one last large piece of furniture. The result is a Queen Anne HighBoy, which is a composite of various designs I have collected over the years. It will some day reside in my daughter's home.
I will have visiting rights if I babysit!

Don Brillhart

Beautiful piece, Don! Your daughter is very fortunate. I second the request- more pictures please.

Todd

Fred Voorhees
01-19-2007, 7:55 PM
All I can say is

Carl Eyman
01-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Great Piece. Let's see more of it.

Gilbert Vega
01-19-2007, 10:23 PM
That's a beautiful highboy. I'm certain your daughter will love it and treasure it forever.

John Schreiber
01-20-2007, 12:55 AM
Congratulations on retiring and on finishing that piece. It's a beauty. More details and pictures would be great.

Tom Hamilton
01-20-2007, 9:08 AM
Great piece, Don, thanks for the photo. I second the motion to share a few more pics and construction details with us.

Tom

Don Brillhart
01-20-2007, 9:23 AM
I do have more pictures but they were taken with a film camera and scanned into my computer. The files are too large for uploading to this site and I do not know how to shrink them to the 100K level. I would gladly email them to interested parties.
Email me at mohawkdon@sbcglobal.net and I'll send them to you.

Thanks for the interest and the kind words.

Don Brillhart

Mike Henderson
01-20-2007, 9:58 AM
I do have more pictures but they were taken with a film camera and scanned into my computer. The files are too large for uploading to this site and I do not know how to shrink them to the 100K level. I would gladly email them to interested parties.

Don Brillhart
Google for a free program called Pixresizer. You can use that to resize them down to about 100K.

Mike

Mark Valsi
01-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Don,

Sorry to say that I don't like it at all !

To my eye, that choice of OAK ruins the piece and distracts from the great design and skill of execution!

Your talent is obvious, but that bold grain ruins it !

Mike Shoemaker
01-20-2007, 12:35 PM
WOW, that is very nice.

Don Brillhart
01-21-2007, 1:26 PM
Mark Valsi: My "commission" was to build an Oak highboy to match other furniture in our families' homes. It happens to be the wood of choice for me and my kin. I find the preparing of cherry and walnut to eliminate all vestiges of grain variation to be an affectatious waste of time. But, to each his own.
Don

Ben Grunow
01-21-2007, 3:39 PM
Don, this cannot really be your last piece after just retiring. THis should be the first piece of the "retirement" collection if you ask me. Nice work.. too nice to stop doing it.

Ben

Don Brillhart
01-21-2007, 6:17 PM
Ben: Thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately, I have had a mitral valve replacement and a couple of pacemaker operations coupled with arthritis of the spine. I just cannot muscle the big boards around anymore.
But, I have a 23 year old son who, I think, will carry the torch for the family. He won the prize for best project in a Michigan High School in 2001 so I'll post his work as he progresses.
Don

Jeffrey Makiel
01-21-2007, 6:33 PM
Nice job! That molding at the top of the piece looks awfully tough to make.
-Jeff :)

Scot Ferraro
01-21-2007, 8:45 PM
Don,

Beautiful job -- as others have said, it would be great to see some more pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Don Brillhart
01-22-2007, 9:03 AM
The top molding is not too tough to make. MCLS sells two router bits and has free instructions on how to make the molding. It is done in two pieces.
Don B

Mike Henderson
01-22-2007, 10:18 AM
I'd like to add to the request for more pictures, especially if you have any pictures during construction. If the pictures you have are too big, and you can't shrink them yourself, I'll send you my e-mail address. Send them to me and I'll shrink them for you and e-mail them back to you.

Great work. If you can't build any more because of your health, you should consider teaching, either in person or in writing. There's a lot of younger people who would love to learn the techniques you already know.

Mike

Zahid Naqvi
01-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Don, wonderful work, your experience shows

Joseph N. Myers
01-23-2007, 8:10 PM

Don Brillhart

Don,

I use pixresizer to reduce the pictures. Do a google on name and download the free software. You can either do a single file or a whole folder. I usually take the folder that the camera software creates and have pixresizer reduce/copy to a new file.

Try it, you'll like it. Any problems, feel free to e-mail me at dbwoodworking@verizon.net.

Regards, Joe

Jerry Olexa
01-23-2007, 10:20 PM
Don, that is brilliant!!! Very fine work AND Congrats on your retirement...You should be happy and proud of this new heirloom..

Charles Fernald
07-28-2007, 11:55 AM
The top molding is not too tough to make. MCLS sells two router bits and has free instructions on how to make the molding. It is done in two pieces.
Don B

Tom, Ive been over the MCLS catalog and can't find the bits you referred to. Could you please give me part numbers? Also are you duplicating Norm"s gooseneck molding or do you have another design? Thanks, Charles

Charles Jackson III
07-28-2007, 9:05 PM
Very nice work, Don.

Pat Germain
07-28-2007, 11:44 PM
I saw a Queen Anne Highboy just like that in aisle 12 at my local Wal-Mart yesterday. It listed for $37.88. Oh, but yours is nice too, Don. ;)

Seriously, that is a fine piece of art and furniture. I'm no expert, but I think the grain looks fine. You have much talent and I'm glad to hear you're passing it on to another generation.