PDA

View Full Version : Can I change the fuel injectors on my car?

Pete Lamberty
01-19-2007, 1:13 PM
I have an old 4 cyl. 1996 Chevy Corsica. The mechanic that I always go to said that I need new fuel injectors. The cost would be anywhere from $400 to $600. He said it wasn't a big problem now but eventually I will have to get them replaced. Needless to say, I am not looking forward to paying this money. Is this something a reasonably handy person can do on his own? I have done things like replaced water pumps, alternators, and starter motors. But this sounds like a much tougher job. Would I need any special tools or diagnostic equipment? What do you think? Can I do this job on my own? Thanks, Pete

Bryan Somers
01-19-2007, 1:27 PM
Pete the one sugestion I would offer is to get a Chiltons manual for that car and the info you need should be there. However I have always been told when it comes to fuel injection systems leave it for those who know what their doing. Hopefully someone with more knowhow than I will chime in.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2007, 1:37 PM
Pete........I had an '86 4-Runner......4 cylinder.....The only thing that ever irritated me was about every 20 months or so it would get to running ragged...only at an idle. You'd pull up to a stop sign..it was an automatic transmission......the engine would miss a little bit....as soon as you accelerated or were up to a higher rpm...the engine ran fine. I'd take it to the local Toyota place...pony up about $80-100 ...they'd clean the injectors and it would run fine for about 18-20 months......I had a SIl that had a degree in automotive mechanics and lived about 240 miles away and worked as a mechanic at a dealership....I asked him one day about cleaning injectors ...I was willing to spend the money for the tools.....He gave me a piece of advice.........Go to the local Chevron dealer..buy 2 bottles of Techron injector cleaner...with the gas tank near empty....put in the 2 bottles of injector cleaner......fill the tank up and put the car on the road until the tank is near empty again......and then run Chevron gas for a couple of months......Well.........I did what he said.....We drove that car for another 110,000 miles........never cleaned another injector....never used anything but Chevron gas as all of their gas has Techron in it. I haven't cleaned an injector in any car since....It's been probably 15 or more years since......it's worth a try.....

I don't work for Chevron.....just a happy customer.....

Al Willits
01-19-2007, 2:23 PM
I've had good luck using Seafoam on a regular basis.

Usually the injectors are more time consuming than technical, but be careful, the fuel system can be under enough pressure to end up with fuel in your eyes.
I've found the when disconnecting the fuel line to wrap a rag around the wrench and fittings.

Like said, try your local library for a manual first.
Al

Jim O'Dell
01-19-2007, 4:07 PM
We've had some circumstances where Ford has told us to use the Techron from Chevron for certain things. It's pricy (20.00 per bottle), but it does work! I try to use Chevron as much as possible. I think Texaco has the Techron in it also. Jim.

Joe Pelonio
01-19-2007, 5:16 PM
I did it once on a V6, and now know why the labor is so high. I think the injectors were $65 each. Hopefully yours are less. If you can identify and replace only the bad ones it won't cost as much or take as long. Shops would rather replace them all at once and I'd probably do the same on a 4 cylinder. It's a matter of disconnecting the battery, releasing the pressure, and changing them one at a time. In some cases you can relieve the pressure by disconnecting power to the fuel pump, then turn it over a few times, or disconnect the fuel pump while it idles and wait until it dies. A good manual would certainly be a big help.

Anthony Anderson
01-19-2007, 5:22 PM
Yep, You can do it yourself. I like the Haynes manuals. Actually if you can follow the intuitiveness (wait we are dealing with GM, I forgot :D )of assembly process you can , and have a digital camera, you can do it without a manual. But if you feel unsure, then go get a Haynes for $15, and buy the injectors at the same time. It will probably take you no more than 3 hrs. If the injectors are expensive, then give the techron a try. My guess though, being a 1996 GM four cylinder, would be that the injectors are worn out. Regards, Bill

John Mihich
01-21-2007, 8:20 AM
A good portion of parts come with instructions. Go to the parts store and have them take a look; save the cost of a manual. One of the first things I do when I get a "new" car is go an buy the manual. They are fairly cheap for all the info they give. I too like the Haynes over Chilton's.

Pete Lamberty
01-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I would say that I am going to go the easy route for now. That is, to do what Ken suggests. I did buy a bottle of Techron over at the AutoZone but there are no Chevron dealers around here. I will have to wait and see what happens and then decide what to do next. Thanks again. Pete