PDA

View Full Version : Intro

Greg Cole
01-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Might as well get my intro over with... as with many others, I've been reading and periodically chipping in a few posts.
My name is Greg Cole. Born and raised in the hills of Vermont with numerous members of the extended family working in the woods, so woodoworking is one way or another has always been in my life. Ok, so much of it was splitting fire wood and working for uncles in the woods.... which is ALOT more WORK than being in the shop! Now most of my efforts are in the usual WW'ing and deciding I can make any & everything versus buy it.
I now live in Kansas City, MO :( . 32 years old, married & 17 year old step daughter at home and a 5 year old little boy and future woodworker (have a great pic of the helper I'll try to post along with some project photos if I can figure out how). Since joining the Creek, I've really gone "down" the Neader Slope and am now supporting Veritas/LV & LN whenever possible. Since joining the Ctreek I've collected; LV medium shoulder plane, LN #4 bronze, LN standard angle block plane, Hirch Mortise Chisel set, Marples Bench Chisel Set, LN honing jig & sandpapers-stones and sharpening "stuff", couple wood mallets, LV Rosewood adjustable marking jig...so a jointer plane & either a scrub or fore/jack is in the near future. And a "one of these days projects" will be a real Neader bench.

The kitchen cabinets were my first real project in the house and were made with one TS (borrowed at the time from a friend) and a router less a table. Since the cabinet project, I've picked up a 10 General TS with 96" rails, Grizzly G0586 8" Jointer, Junky Bosch Router Table (Woodpeck RT in the near future) , Delta Drill Press, P/C Biscuit Joiner, hot dog DW compressor, PC finish & brad nailers, Hitachi stick nailer, Hitachi roof coil nailer & Hitachi siding coil nailer, a venerable Skil #77, G0513X Band Saw and adding the JET DC1200CK dust collector today (as Creekers like to say "Stealth Gloat").
I also was brave enough last fall to replace sheet siding with James Hardie cementboard lap siding & sheets, replaced all windows and reframed for the new larger windows... and stripped the roof and threw down 30 year architectural shingles (ALL in one week of "vacation"). I can fill a website with a photo documentary of that "vacation"..... thanks to my 63 year old retired father for being the only help! If anyone is interested in info on the cement siding- installation..etc, just shout.
If anyone wants details on the attached pics let me know as well.
Thanks to all for your hospitality & the wealth of info!

Greg

Frank Snyder
01-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Welcome, Greg. Nice work on the kitchen. It sounds like you've got a growing tool collection...keep the projects coming and post lots of pics.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Welcome to the Creek Greg! You've been so busy, you haven't had time for an introduction! Understandable......and sounds like you've come a long ways!

Dave Ray
01-19-2007, 2:05 PM
Welcome to the Creek Greg. Great looking work, especially that shot of "The Genuine Article." Sounds like you have been very busy

Dan Oliphant
01-19-2007, 2:06 PM
Welcome Greg, nice looking projects.