PDA

View Full Version : Kickback and MJ Splitter is not quite "unbreakable"

Pete Brown
01-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Later last year I had a run in with some kickback. It was nasty and left a really nice colorful (and very painful) welt and cut just clear of the goods but still below the belt - but it could have been much worse.

I was ripping a rough edge off of some maple. The edge tapered towards the back so it was a sharp point heading into the blade and then about 3/4" wide at the end near me. This offcut was to the left of the blade. Had I arranged the board the other way around, I may have ended up in the hospital impaled with a tapered board.

I always stand to the left of the blade because I've always understod that kickback typically happens between the fence and the blade, and my fence is on the right. This time, the kickback happened with the offcut to the left. As best as I could tell, the fat end somehow twisted into the back of the blade as I finished the cut. The splitter had been bent at the pins from previous use and I bent it back, but likely didn't get it 100% aligned) so that may have contributed.

The force was significant. It broke the MD splitter clear off and launched the offcut at me twice. There were two loud bangs as the offcut hit me and the blade. The force was enough to move my whole cabinet saw about 6" away from me - it is not on wheels, has two router tables and an Incra fence on it, so it isn't light.

Besides some technique changes, a riving knife would have prevented this as there would have been no real room between the blade and the splitter.

So, my takeway on the MJ Splitter, if you use one:

If the pins bend, toss it and get a new one, otherwise the bending stress creates weak points in the pins.
The pins do bend. It is not indestructable, it is just plastic. Rather than use a single insert for working both with and without the splitter, it is likely better to keep two inserts, and just leave the splitter in one of them all the time. That's the only way I can think that the pins became bent, unless it was the force of some reaction wood.
Leave more stock at the tapered end next time :)I keep this piece as a reminder. There are two huge gouges in it from the blade

55478 55479

Pete

glenn bradley
01-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Ouch. Glad that wasn't worse. I agree on the bent pin thing. Haven't bent one but would probably be tempted to bend it back as you described. I've got some spares so thanks to your story I won't be stingy using them if the need arises.

Steve Clardy
01-19-2007, 7:15 PM
The new metal ones, or the older plastic pins?

Pete Brown
01-19-2007, 8:11 PM
The new metal ones, or the older plastic pins?

I'm not aware of one with metal pins. The MJ site still says it is all plastic.

Did they just introduce a new version?

Pete

Steve Clardy
01-19-2007, 8:29 PM
I'm not aware of one with metal pins. The MJ site still says it is all plastic.

Did they just introduce a new version?

Pete

Yes:)............

Rob Blaustein
01-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Glad you're ok! I use the MJ but only when I rip narrow pieces in conjunction with the Grripper. For other rips I use my Biesemeyer splitter. Yes, it costs a lot more (by around $100 or so) but it's built like a tank.

Russ Massery
01-19-2007, 11:06 PM
I didn't have kickback problem with mine. But the workpeice closed up on the the plastic splitter a few times. Enough so that it pulled it out. I threw it out after that, and bought the Biesemeyer also.

Pete Brown
01-20-2007, 7:56 AM
I didn't have kickback problem with mine. But the workpeice closed up on the the plastic splitter a few times. Enough so that it pulled it out. I threw it out after that, and bought the Biesemeyer also.

Mine has also come loose, despite having carefully drilled the holes in the phenolic plate. I think the plastic just gets a little worn or compressed over time making it looser.

The MJ is nice, but the Biesemeyer would likely be a better choice. Unfortunately, I don't think the Biesemeyer will play well with my Excalibur overarm guard.

Pete

Al Willits
01-20-2007, 8:12 AM
Maybe a bit OT here and I'm sorry, but the Biesemeyer splitter was mentioned, and I am in need of a decent splitter for my Hybrid Delta saw, I'm been looking at the shark guard and its splitter, and has anybody compared that to the Bies one?
I'm not using an overhead guard btw
Have to admit the plastic MJ didn't impress me all that much, a metal one might be better though.
tia
Al

Rob Blaustein
01-20-2007, 8:35 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think the Biesemeyer will play well with my Excalibur overarm guard.
Pete
Pete--I use the Bies splitter with that same overarm guard--I think Jim Becker has too. Not a problem.

Al--there have been lots of good threads about splitters and guards. Before getting my Biesemeyer (and Excalibur) I searched here and pulled them up.

Al Willits
01-20-2007, 9:22 AM
""""""""
Al--there have been lots of good threads about splitters and guards. Before getting my Biesemeyer (and Excalibur) I searched here and pulled them up.
"""""""
Ya, I've done the search thing, probably to much information, but I don't remember a comparison between the Shark and the Bies.
I'm sure it was there, considering the imense amount of info that's there though.

I was all set to buy the Shark untill the Bies was mentioned here and that brought up the question on comparing the two.

For some I think, the search feature may not always be quite black and white, I'm one of them, to much info can be as bad as to little, and I find I don't always have the key word to find what I'm looking for.
But I have looked...:)
Al

Dave Harker
01-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Here is what I did, web page linked below has a few pics:

teaser - splitter is made from a GATE HINGE:

http://webpages.charter.net/harkerhome/WWShop/splitter.html

I'm serious, and it really works.

http://webpages.charter.net/harkerhome/images/splitter/splitWithInsert.JPG