PDA

View Full Version : DC Fittings

Chris Jenkins
01-19-2007, 10:24 AM
OK, I'm getting sick of dragging my DC around and would like to install some ducting. In the last shop my DC was in the center of the room and didn't require it. Here I have it shoved in the corner and when it is in the center of the room it is always in the way.

Either way. Here is the question:

What Fittings fit what? I am using mostly 6" and some 4" reducers

Do HVAC fittings snug into (or over) S&D pipe?
And Does 6" PVC fittings make a snug fit over S&D?

This way I can run a combo of all the fittings I need. I'd like to run HVAC as it is cheaper, but the only 6" WYE's I can find are the PVC and they do NOT fit even close, unless I wrap the fittings in like an 1/8" of duct tape.

By me 5' of 6" HVAC goes about $7, 10' of 6" S&D goes for $24 and 6" PVC Wyes go for $15.

Burt Alcantara
01-19-2007, 6:13 PM
Chris,
I've pulled all my hair out finding anything that fits. I lucked out with a store very near by that sells 10'x6" 2729 for $13.50. The only fittings I can find are 6x6x6 Wye's, 6x6x4 wyes, 22 degree elbows, no 90s anywhere, and various Tees which I don't use.

I recently had to connect 2 pieces of 2729 that needed a 90 but they were fixed in place. I couldn't get anything in. My expensive flex hose wouldn't fit so I ended up with a metal 90 and smeared it with duct caulk as the fit was "generous." Once it dries I'll bury it in duct tape.

The point is, mix and match. This will give you more possibilities. Members on this forum gave me many hints of making those seemingly impossible joins.

Ken Deckelman
01-19-2007, 7:28 PM
Chris,
I may be helpful for us to know what DC you are using. If it is just a small unit, ducting may not be viable...