PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
01-19-2007, 6:57 AM
Friday January 19th, 2007

Looks like the weather will determine the weekend plans of many of you in the south central part of the states. Hopefully it will only be a distraction from your weekend plans, at the most.

In the upper midwest we finally have some snow on the ground with some more predicted for Sunday. It is nice to see some white, instead of the brown. I'm working on our basement, as we have a friend arriving next week to spend a month with us. He's back from "down under", for a short time, with plans to move there for good.

So what's on your agenda for the weekend? Will it include WW'ing? Whatever it is, try and make it fun and above all safe.

Karl

Gary Keedwell
01-19-2007, 7:20 AM
Not much woodworking this weekend. LOML and I are about to pull trigger (after two year search) on HD flat screen TV. Whole weekend will focus on Patriot football Sunday.

Gary K.:)

Carson Saunders
01-19-2007, 7:33 AM
New member here...I was hoping to finally get a chance to make adjustments and test out my new TS. Unfortunately, the kids may have a say in that as one of them was up sick all last night and this morning. Hopefully she'll make a fast recovery and I get make a few cuts with the saw.

Greg Cole
01-19-2007, 8:57 AM
Picking up a JET DC1200CK today, so tonight I will do the assembly and start on the duct work, blast gates etc. Not the most exciting of jobs, but it has been a "one of these days" purchases that I finally got around to... and the band saw addition sort of forced my hand.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2007, 9:03 AM
Bolt the Bomb to the Diving board..... Clamp the Diving Board to the ladders....Test drive my new hollowing rig......:D

Tyler Howell
01-19-2007, 9:11 AM
Hey Karl,
In town the weekend. A number of projects a head.
Packing up the non essential shop stuff for the venture north.
A little plumbing, a little wiring, a little WW.
Play safe

D.McDonnel "Mac"
01-19-2007, 9:37 AM
I will not have much spare time this weekend.

Friday: Tonight will be spent finishing up the prep work for and putting on two coats of primer in the master bedroom, a rehab that has been stalled for a year. It was a complete to the plaster stripping of the wall paper layers, reinstall proper custom mouldings around the windows, spackle the plaster problems, strip the old moulding of many layers of paint, sand and prime everything! We are finally to the priming stage. After that SWMBO needs to pick out the paint colors!

Saturday: The Woodworking Show is in town and though I normally go on Friday (less crowd) that's out (see Friday above). I'm helping man the American Sycamore Woodworking booth since I am teaching 5 classes there this year. I'm hoping to do a little woodworking while there demonstrating one of the items I'll be having a class on in March. Maybe sign up some new students!

Sunday: Church and then I don't know. This town is Colts Crazy this week since we are hosting one of the championship games Sunday Night. I have friends that would like me to come over for the game but I'm not much of a Football Fan. I hope they win but I think I'll spend the time either in the shop working on the prototypes for the classes I'm teaching or I may go back out to the WW show depending on how Saturday turns out.

Have a good safe weekend everyone!

Larry Fox
01-19-2007, 9:57 AM
The thread on small shop layout has shamed me into reorganizing my shop to make better use of my space. As such, it is pretty much torn apart at the moment and I will be soending the weekend putting it back together. If I should get lucky enough to complete it, I will spend some time working on some odds and ends for my kitchen.

Gary - you are more than welcome to borrow my HD TV this weekend. Based on the performance of the Eagles last weekend I won't be needing it until September at the earliest. :)

BTW: Welcome Carson - GREAT place to hang out.

Lori Kleinberg
01-19-2007, 10:01 AM
The weather here in Tucson has been pretty bad (for Arizona) which really does my back in, so woodworking time will probably be limited. Got my new Dial indicator from the brown delivery guy yesterday. Will probably play with it and figure out how it works so I can start to properly align my tools.

Chris Jenkins
01-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Friday:

Hoping to tune the BS tonight and get the blade running true. I have some Maple scraps I'm going to try and cut into some thin veneers as a test.

I have some adjustments on my 66 that need to be done. I feel the rack and worms are running too tight.

Then I''m going to wrap it up with reading the article on turning platters here and then try one myself. Came into a few cut offs that are about 1.125" thick and I think they would be fun to play with.

Sat:

I have family stuff in the early afternoon, but I'm hoping to wake early enough to re-route one of the the gas lines in the basement. bad part is it is a main line and I will have to turn off the house as there is no valve, maybe I'll put one in?

Sunday:

There is an invite to the game and my wife and I will most likely attend. If time permits and the 66 is tweaked, I will start a new gift for my SIL's B-Day that is coming up in a few weeks.

Al Willits
01-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Still working/learning how to build the wife's storage cabinets, so I'll be doing that this weekend, also Woodcraft had the Wixley DRO for planners on sale so I now have one of them to play with.

Also trying to build a computer for the garage sound system and picked up a scanner to put all the tips and stuff from the growing stack of woodworking mags into the comp, so I can keep from getting over run by magazines.

Also need to put one or two more coats of poly on the TS sled I'm almost finished with, finally something came out decent..:)

And..I will try and start the plywood hoist that Dave has designed for me, thanks all for the help on that.

Al

Dan Gill
01-19-2007, 10:23 AM
If it warms up enough, I'll put some poly on the secretary I'm making for my daughter. I'm really getting tired of it taking up space in the shop. But I don't think it's going to be warm enough, so I'll probably just draw up plans for her dresser.

John Headley
01-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Saturday, I deliver my radial arm saw I never use to it's new owner. Sunday I clean up the space where the RAS was, and get it the power ready for my new Unisaw being delivered Monday.

Mike Shoemaker
01-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Well, if I have time. Start cutting legs, strechers for my new work bench,

Karl Laustrup
01-19-2007, 7:17 PM
Bolt the Bomb to the Diving board..... Clamp the Diving Board to the ladders....:D

:eek: :eek: :eek: Let's not get hasty Ken.

It's only been a year in it's current configuration. :eek: :eek:

I think we should sit down with an OS and talk about it. ;);) :D :D

Karl

Fred Voorhees
01-19-2007, 7:46 PM
The big deal this weekend is a big party Saturday night with about twenty friends coming over to my bar room for a rememberence night of an old speedway that we all used to go to and thoroughly enjoy - the Flemington Speedway. Should be a good time with videos, beer, food, memories and some b*ll bustin'. Should get some more done on the oak sideboard project that I'm in the middle of. Carcass is done and face frame is applied and the flat panel doors were glued up tonight (Fri) and will be massaged some time on Saturday. Need to get some Christmas lights down off of the house also.

Jim Becker
01-19-2007, 7:58 PM
Well, I'm planning on spending a bit of time in the shop this weekend, especially since last weekend I got zilch! I'd like to finish finishing the cherry vanity project, get some things straightened out "upstairs" so I can move my slabs up there and get them out of the shop, proper for more space, as well as a little additional cleaning. I suppose I should also get the dust cleaned off the table saw as hopefully, it's soon-to-be-new-owner (a very talented young lady who builds studio furniture) will be picking it up on Monday.

I also need to craft a board for a school project for "the younger"...a Native American baby carrier thingie of some sort...

And maybe I'll actually put Fred Voorhees' splitter to work making some firewood out of the very large pile of ash log sections we cut up a couple weekends ago. Yup...I guess it's time to lift the logs AGAIN. Sheesh!

Alan Greene
01-19-2007, 8:28 PM
Got my TS Aligner Jr yesterday, checked out the TS today and it needs to be tuned up. So that is my plan for Saturday andif I get time I need to finish the setup on the jointer as well. Sunday is the day with the LOML.

Brad Schmid
01-19-2007, 11:36 PM
Moving 150 gal saltwater aquarium 50 miles and into my house. If I do any woodworking this weekend, it will only be because I did something stupid and damaged the stand in transit:eek: The majority of the rest of the weekend will be consumed setting it all up again. Oh well, one of the "other hobbys" has to step to the forefront once in a while:rolleyes: Enjoy your weekend!

Jim Dunn
01-20-2007, 8:31 AM
Helped babysit our two granddaughters last nite. Whew what a ride:)
Work today, at my real job.:o Hopefully an hour or more on Sunday as we're about to have 6" or so of snow.

Jeff Cybulski
01-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Planning on cleaning up the shop and hanging 2 ceiling fans in the house. Football on Sunday. We're suppose to get 5-8 inches of snow in NE Okie land ( on top of the ice we still have)