PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening jigs

Bill Klein
01-19-2007, 1:18 AM
I'm a newbie to wood turning and am in the process of purchasing a jig for sharpening my turning tools. Can any of you give me any type of comparrison between the Wolverine system and the PSI system. I will probably purchase one or the other. Thanks and looking forward to some great advice, Bill.

Rick Levine
01-19-2007, 1:25 AM
I just purchased the Wolverine system and should have it on Monday. From what I've read about it and from seeing Jimmy Clewes CD Turnaround, I think it was a wise decision. I have a Delta variable speed grinder to attach it to. I did, however, replace the gray wheel with another white aluminum oxide 100 grit wheel.

Tony Kent
01-19-2007, 1:38 AM
Hello
I have the wolverine and have used it for almost two years. I like it very much and yet if I had it to do over again I would make the jigs myself. It would have saved a lot of money that I could have bought another chuck or other tools. There are many plans online if you run a google search on sharpening jigs. I like this guys site and his home made jigs.
http://www.aroundthewoods.com/sharp.shtml
I hope he doesn't mind me posting his website on here.
Take care, happy turning and remember to always turn safely
Tony

John Hart
01-19-2007, 6:52 AM
I don't use a jig so I won't be much help to you Bill....but please, allow me to welcome you to the dark side. The abyss is deep...only your wallet can save you. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2007, 9:22 AM
Bill ....Welcome to the Creek and to turning! I'll only encourage you to get a jig system. I've been turning about a year and the one thing that still eludes me is freehand sharpening. I've got the complete Wolverine system and I'd buy it again in a flash. The first thing to learn when sharpening is light...extremely light pressure.....as in the weight of the tool is often enough pressure..Once you learn to use the jig and have a little practice, you can often touch up a gouge or skew in 10 seconds or less! Doesn't take much time or waste much steel. Now recently I had the chance to try to freehand grind another guys skew.......whew! A year later and I'm still have no skill freehand grinding!

Welcome to the Creek and the Abyss Bill!

Bill Klein
01-19-2007, 9:45 AM
Thank you gentlemen for your response, it is much appreciated. John, I don't know if my wallet can save me, but I'll go down fighting.