PDA

View Full Version : Amyone ever change the motor in a Shaper

Mike Heidrick
01-18-2007, 11:57 PM
I have a single phase motor coming from Delta. Guess I need to figure out how to change the motor. Anyone ever do this in a shaper? Any advice or tips. A member recommended flipping the shaper on end and doing it that way. Any techs do this and have some tips on how to remove the motor.

Shaper is a Delta 43-460.

brian lanning
01-19-2007, 12:12 AM
I have a single phase motor coming from Delta. Guess I need to figure out how to change the motor. Anyone ever do this in a shaper? Any advice or tips. A member recommended flipping the shaper on end and doing it that way. Any techs do this and have some tips on how to remove the motor.

Shaper is a Delta 43-460.

What happened to the 3-phase conversion? Didn't you get the parts already?

brian

Mike Heidrick
01-19-2007, 12:44 AM
I am still building the converter. I just had the chance to get a 5hp single phase motor from a Delta friend. Could not pass that option up.

I want to build the converter and learn more about it before blowing up any new shapers. 3-phase is Brand new to me.

Rod Sheridan
01-19-2007, 8:30 AM
Hi, yes I have converted shapers from single phase to three phase.

The overload relays in the starter will need replacing with the correct size for the single phase motor, if the starter is large enough.

The starter, reversing switch, and wiring may need replacing, as the HP rating on those components will most likely not be adequate, and the wiring ampacity may be too low. ( for example a single phase, standard speed motor, 5 HP, 240V is aproximately 25 amperes, the same motor at 460V 3 phase is aproximaetely 8 amperes).

In addition, the reversing switch on a three motor simply reverses two phases, on a standard single phase motor the starting winding connections will need to be reversed.

If you need specific help, let me know............Rod.