PDA

View Full Version : What Makes a Panel Raising Plane?

jonathan snyder
01-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Hi folks,

I don't know much (actually nothing) about panel raising planes. Hoping you folks can help me out. I would like to learn to raise panels with hand tools. I'm off to Pennsylvania to visit family tonight, and plan to do some rust hunting. I hoping to find old tool heaven! I would like to keep my eyes open for a panel raiser, but I'm not sure what to look for. Are all of the old panel raisers woodies? Can someone post a pic of one. Any recommendations of what to look for, or what to avoid would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jonathan

Steve knight
01-18-2007, 11:48 PM
well the plane has a skewed iron and it cuts the edges of a panel (G) it leaves a raised field and sometiems a flat edge it can work with the grain and endgrain. sometimes they come in left and right mathcing pairs. but you can do the job with rabbets and a jack plane.

George Springer
01-19-2007, 1:42 AM
... or you could just buy one of Steve's panel raisers, they make a nice raised panel and quick too.

GS

James Mittlefehldt
01-19-2007, 7:49 AM
I wonder if maybe a lot of joiners in the past, distant past that is, just used rabbets and various other planes, as panel raising planes seem to be awfully rare, at least here anyway.