PDA

View Full Version : The Unofficial "Minis" Thread

Neal Addy
01-18-2007, 11:22 PM
The "Unofficial 'Don't Do This' Thread" was fun. Let's do another. Apologies to those who have seen this thread elsewhere.

You know you've all turned 'em. Time to show off those miniatures that you've never taken seriously.

Open to all. Post 'em if you've got 'em. If you ain't got 'em, turn 'em!

Oversize coins are against the rules.

I'll start off with a few from my early turning days.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/addylo/img_3317.jpg

John Hart
01-19-2007, 6:48 AM
Good place for this: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27002

I have one that I carry around in my pocket...don't know why.:confused: I've had it in my pocket for a year now.:o

Neal Addy
01-19-2007, 8:57 AM
Thanks. I should have guessed that this had been done before.

That's the trouble with being the new kid. Gotta catch up! Well... that and Bill Boehme keeps taking my lunch money! :(

OK Bill, you can get me back at the meeting next week. ;)

Robert Mickley
01-19-2007, 9:20 AM
I missed the first one

heres some of the older ones
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=29788&d=1137526549

Neal Addy
01-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Cool. I'm curious about the size of these. Especially the box.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Neal ...it was during the "Itty Bitty" contest that I came down the stairs ....started teasing the turners.....and they shoved me into the Vortex.........I recently reread that thread and am still amazed by some of the objects turned there!

Mark Pruitt
01-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Here's my entry:

See? It's so little you can't even see it!:rolleyes:

Looks like I gotta lug the camera out again...Oh, BTW, At what point does an object go from "mini" to "small?"

Neal Addy
01-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Ken, I just went through that entire thread and still haven't reeled my jaw back in yet. It looked like a lot of fun!

I would have hated to have been a judge!

Gordon Seto
01-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Neal,

Where do you find that super mega jumbo quarter?

If that is just a 25¢ quarter, I am not participating. If I am having fun with this, how can I convince my wife that I need a VB86 and Stubby 9000. BTW, both new models are under secret field tests. Each weights over 5 tons, and has 6" spindle.

Neal, are you going to make this "unofficial" a regular feature?

Gordon

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Neal.....In fact.....My wife was so impressed by Bill Stevender's (sp?) cherry pedestal table...I have a copy of the photo on my computer for future reference to make one from. I've already turned a full sized replica of the spindle.....there will be a full sized cherry pedestal table using it as the mini-pattern...

Jim Underwood
01-19-2007, 12:26 PM

Here's a mini Acorn Birdhouse. It's about 1 inch tall. I know it's not that small but I could go smaller.

I'd like to get out and make more of these...

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-19-2007, 12:42 PM
I was just thinking about making some small and mini things for next years show. Actually sold some of them last year and and got a couple of commissions for a mini.

Bruce

Neal Addy
01-19-2007, 2:24 PM
Gordon, there's no correlation between cost/size of the tool and size of the finished product. Ask her if she knows how much money it takes to smash an atom? ;)

I always enjoy these group-participation threads. The "unofficial" bit is just a way of getting it going. They give us a chance to have fun and get to know each other better. Reading the "Don't Do This" thread has been great fun for me! And it showed me what a great bunch of folks there are here at SMC.

My favorite "official" thread to-date was the "Official 'Ugly' Thread" (done on another site) where you post those "what was I thinking?" peices that you thought would never see the light of day (and haven't used as kindling yet). I was surprised how many folks were willing to contribute and 'strut their worst'.

John Hart
01-19-2007, 2:32 PM
....My favorite "official" thread to-date was the "Official 'Ugly' Thread" (done on another site) where you post those "what was I thinking?" peices that you thought would never see the light of day (and haven't used as kindling yet). I was surprised how many folks were willing to contribute and 'strut their worst'.
Oh yeah!!!...Something I can really contribute!!!!!;)

Gordon...Tell her this:
"Honey....You can turn Itty Bitty things on a big lathe...but you can't turn big things on a little lathe"

Yep....tell her that.;) That oughta do it. She'll probably run out and get a part time job just so you'll have the money for your Stubby.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2007, 2:37 PM

Gordon...Tell her this:
"Honey....You can turn Itty Bitty things on a big lathe...but you can't turn big things on a little lathe"

Yep....tell her that.;) That oughta do it. She'll probably run out and get a part time job just so you'll have the money for your Stubby.

Yeah Gordon....tell that .....and tell her John Hart told you to tell her......Let me know if she wants Johns address!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Bill Wyko
01-19-2007, 2:44 PM
I tried turning a palm seed but I blew it to peices:confused: I have a few more so I'll try again. I was doing good until I tried to hollow it out.:(

Andy Hoyt
01-19-2007, 4:18 PM
My favorite "official" thread to-date was the "Official 'Ugly' Thread" (done on another site) where you post those "what was I thinking?" peices that you thought would never see the light of day (and haven't used as kindling yet). I was surprised how many folks were willing to contribute and 'strut their worst'. Sorry, Neal. we're waaay ahead of ya bub.:D

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38251

Neal Addy
01-19-2007, 4:42 PM
LOL! I'm slow but I get there in the end (when I can find the end).

Curt, your "thing" bowl gets my vote for the most original bowl design ever created!

Keith Burns
01-19-2007, 4:44 PM
Neal, just look at Andy's avatar......................Now thats UGLY:eek:

John Hart
01-19-2007, 7:36 PM
Sorry, Neal. we're waaay ahead of ya bub.:D

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38251

aw nuts...Look what I missed while I was away last summer! I got uglies. Piles of them. I gotta go take some pictures!

Tom Sherman
01-20-2007, 7:57 AM

Gordon...Tell her this:

John, I think if i told my wife that after she recovered from laughing she would say "honey ya don't have to BUY another one."

Mark Pruitt
01-20-2007, 11:17 AM
Kinda hard to focus the camera on a spinning top!

Just playing around one day a few months ago with a piece of 2x4:

...and this may not be "tiny," but it's what I call little: