View Full Version : Peppa' Maddam?

Quinn McCarthy
01-18-2007, 11:01 PM
Here are a couple pictures from my last turnings. The pepper grinder is made from Mara from Argentina and is 24" tall. The segmented bowl is hickory and ipe and is 12 1/4" wide by 5 1/2 " tall. I would appreciate any suggestions on either one.

Thanks for looking!

Quinn

Stephen Hibbs
01-18-2007, 11:03 PM
I like them both! Especially the bowl, and I like the nice beads you got on the grinder. I would suggest making the bottom area thinner on the grinder next time. It just looks a little too thick about 3/4 down. Nice work, I need to get around to using my grinder kits.

Bernie Weishapl
01-18-2007, 11:41 PM
Very nice Quinn. I really like both. The bowl is a beauty. Nice job.

Neal Addy
01-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Very nice work, Quinn! That is one serious pepper grinder. Perfect for my wife to beat me over the head.

Gorgeous bowl!

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2007, 11:54 PM
Nice work Quinn! Has to be one of the longest pepper grinders I've seen!

I like your segmented bowl - nice combination of woods!

Tom Sherman
01-19-2007, 7:07 AM
Nice work Quinn, really nice pepper mill and the bowl is great. I have a chunk of Ipe that I have been pondering on what to do with, I may have to consider some segmentation, been lots of nice examples lately.

Keith Burns
01-19-2007, 8:13 AM
Man, that is one serious bonker, ur, pepper mill !!! Great job. Great looking bowl as well:) :)

Quinn McCarthy
01-19-2007, 9:49 AM
Thanks for all of the compliments!

The pepper grinder could may be a little skinnier just under the detail at the top as well but you don't seam to notice that stuff when you are making it. It took just over 2 1/2 hours to get the hole bored through the middle. Mara is some pretty dense stuff.

If you are going to use ipe in a bowl make sure your tools are sharp. It is really dense. It is also just a tad oily and it took the first caot of finish a little longer than the rest to dry. The 2 woods really look good together.

Quinn

Ernie Nyvall
01-19-2007, 9:14 PM
Nice work Quinn. I really like that pepper mill... that is just cool... at 24". I'd have to stand on a stool.